Raw Diet?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Have you tried Raw diet?

I'm already eating raw foods.
14%
Once, I might try it again.
10%
Once, I'm not interested.
5%
I'll try it.
12%
I'm not interested.
60%

Total votes: 42

lochieka

Re: Raw Diet?

Post by lochieka »

Why do people say the raw food diet is unhealthy?? Do you have any prior knowledge about it??

The raw food diet is one of the most liveliest diets in the world. The raw food movement is increasing as the years go by. "If you want to feel alive, why eat dead (cooked) food"-Kristina (Rawfully Kristina)

The raw food diet will give you energy, vitality, and happiness. You will absorb a lot of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals than on the standard cooked food diet. It is the most natural and simple diet in life. Raw foodism isn't about obsessiveness over what is raw and what isn't. It is about living happily and eating simply. This isn't rocket science people!! Being raw doesn't mean you get alienated, you can still have a social life and be raw. Don't make it so complicated!!

If there is anyone interested in the raw food diet, and how to do it the right way with the right guidance, you should check out Fullyraw Kristina on Youtube or check out the book 80/10/10 by: DR. Douglas Graham (It is written by a real doctor!!)
marc108

Post by marc108 »

the raw food diet theory is based on flawed understanding of nutrition & how humans absorb nutrients unfortunately. it's not unhealthy, per say, but what makes it healthy is the high intake of fruits and vegetables... not that they are raw.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

the raw food diet theory is based on flawed understanding of nutrition & how humans absorb nutrients unfortunately. it's not unhealthy, per say, but what makes it healthy is the high intake of fruits and vegetables... not that they are raw
Chimps do pretty well on a diet of fruits and vegetables (mostly greens) and seem to live long lives free from the diseases that humans have created for themselves? I am not saying I am a chimp but my biology is very similar.
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

Hi all,

I am a Raw Vegan Vegetarian?? Sound confusing...well it is. I have been vegetarian for a while for healthy eating reasons, but mostly out of kindness to the poor animals that suffered for my selfish tastebud pleasures. My awareness and contemplation on what I was actually doing by eating meat, rather than ignorance (thinking of the animal and the fear and the pain) made it too compelling a reason for me to stop eating meat. I am lucky, like many of us in here, that I have an absolute abudence of fresh, healthy options when it comes to food, that there is just no need for me to kill an animal for sustinance. As my meditation deepened and my practice has progressed, my awareness has increased even more and I tend to do a lot of things (right action) via right intention. So slowly, I started cutting out all animal products, as the process of obtaining milk and other things is also very invasive and painful to the animal.

But lately, about two months now, I have been eating Raw. Being Vegan, I enjoyed so much of the Raw foods (the deserts inlcuded) and loved the way they make me feel. The lightness after a meal, yet still so full of energy. I thought I would try and sustain a Raw diet for a period of time to see the effect it had on me. A "Self" experiment without a "self" of course??? I feel great and really enjoy the creativeness a raw diet inspires within the kitchen. I like preparing food so this aspect is just a bonus. A green smoothie in the morning for breakfast is one of the best things I have ever done for my body. No matter what happens in the future, I think these green smoothies are here to stay.

What the future holds...I am not sure (as none of us are!). I know I will not stay 100% Raw as I dont think there is a 100% need. A lot of earlier posts have some real validity to them about the pro's and con's, and there seems to be little research into how healthy a Raw diet is over a cooke diet in the long run. It seems to be "swings and roundabouts". Good for some things and not as good for others..and..vice versa. Also as posters have mentioned, O.C.D. could be a real problem that could develop and I think I have seen this in Raw foodists also...but there is not need to generalise here as it wouldnt be many.

I think my balance will be about 70% Raw. Most likely a Raw breakfast (smoothie or granola), Salad for lunch but the odd sandwhich thrown in and then the dinners will be a mix of Raw or cooked...but still healthy, unprocessed cooking ingredients, no meat and organic as much as possible. Keep it fairly relaxed and not create unwanted stress/suffering as this would not aide in my path to find peace and contentment and enlightenment.

Well that went longer than I thought...so sorry to bore. It just is a hard one to argue either way, as it is one which has valid arguments on both sides of the fence...If we are comparing HEALTHY cooking to RAW.

Ciao for now.
With Metta
Eamonn
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Magoo wrote: Chimps do pretty well on a diet of fruits and vegetables (mostly greens) and seem to live long lives free from the diseases that humans have created for themselves? I am not saying I am a chimp but my biology is very similar.
it's really not that similar, definitely not similar enough to make a comparison with human dietetics. most modern, nutritionally derived diseases are a result of over consumption of processed foods not from cooking foods in and of itself. cooking food increases the bio availability of most nutrients and drastically reduces the risk of contamination.

there's nothing wrong with eating your fruits and veggies raw, but the 'raw vegan' ideology is flawed. many of the reasons given for its superiority are not scientifically sound, re: more enzymes in food, etc. it also puts your at risk for major nutritional deficiencies, re: b12, omega 3:6 ratio, calcium, zinc, protein, etc. its a good alternative to standard diets for a lot of people, but its risky long term.

i think like you said a mix of raw and cooked is best.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

cooking food increases the bio availability of most nutrients and drastically reduces the risk of contamination
I agree that cooking (eg Starchy foods) increases the bio availability, however I wouldnt agree that this is the case for most nutrients?

But these discussions could go on for ever as there are very valid arguments each way, with both healthy cooking and raw, providing many nutritional benefits that one may have over the other. Balance, awareness and knowledge is the key.

Just a little further though, Raw doesnt only mean uncooked , it does refer to unprocessed also, which is as you mentioned Marci is one of the great causes of illness and disease in the human diet. All the added rubish we put in processed foods so that white bread can be eaten a month after it has been baked and still feel as fresh as the day it was bought?

If the Buddha was on this forum I am pretty sure he may recomend the MIDDLE WAY once again.

With Mega Metta
Eamonn
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Magoo wrote: I agree that cooking (eg Starchy foods) increases the bio availability, however I wouldnt agree that this is the case for most nutrients?
not trying to get into a back and forth here, honestly :) but just for your own knowledge:

there's 2 external factors that influence nutrient availability: the actual amount in the food and the bioavailability, ie: how much can you get into your blood. cooking slightly decreases actual nutrient amounts in some cases, but increases availability. micronutrients (vits/mins) are contained within the cell wall, which is made of cellulose, which humans dont produce enzymes to digest. so the only way to them is chewing or by cooking, both of which break the cell wall and liberate the nutrient for digestion. proteins are also complex and folded like a crinkled piece of paper... cooking breaks the proteins apart and exposes a higher amount of surface area to your digestive enzymes.

i totally agree about the 'Middle Path' eating. i see a lot of people who eat obsessively, both healthily and unhealthily, but not many people who are more moderately. :anjali:
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

Hi Marci,

I am not trying to get into a back and forth either but very interested in nutrition particularly of late and open to learning the truths. I have no position other than eating healthy, after undertaking experiments with all diets (ie meat eating, junk eating, vegetarian, vegan and raw). Ac oupdl of points and questions though please?
cooking slightly decreases actual nutrient amounts in some cases, but increases availability.

I agree in some cases thsi would be true.
micronutrients (vits/mins) are contained within the cell wall, which is made of cellulose, which humans dont produce enzymes to digest. so the only way to them is chewing or by cooking, both of which break the cell wall and liberate the nutrient for digestion.
Another way of breaking the cell wall is using a Vitamix blender?
proteins are also complex and folded like a crinkled piece of paper
These protiens arent so complex within Green leafy vegetables in my understanding? (strange that leafy things are called vegeatbles but at this point they are)

Thanks again :namaste:
Eamonn
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

- Which animals COOK food? If they do, how often?
- Cows weight as much as 2000 pounds, produce milk and give birth to calves. What do they eat?
- What about horses and other vegan animals?
- Male gorillas can weight as much as 400 pounds, and are much much stronger than humans. Do they cook food? Are they primary meat eaters? What do they mostly eat?

There are vegan bodybuilders or vegetarian MMA fighters. So veganism does not make growing large muscles impossible in humans.

Humans have technology. With Vitamix (I love it) one can easily and quickly consume large enough quantities of greens and fruits.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Magoo wrote: Another way of breaking the cell wall is using a Vitamix blender?
yes that would work

These protiens arent so complex within Green leafy vegetables in my understanding? (strange that leafy things are called vegeatbles but at this point they are)
yes, but you wouldnt be able to safely eat enough leafy greens to get an appreciable amount of protein.
- Which animals COOK food? If they do, how often?
- Cows weight as much as 2000 pounds, produce milk and give birth to calves. What do they eat?
- What about horses and other vegan animals?
- Male gorillas can weight as much as 400 pounds, and are much much stronger than humans. Do they cook food? Are they primary meat eaters? What do they mostly eat?
animal physiology and dietetics arent the same as humans. you cant make those type of comparisons between animals and humans... cows are fed grain & soy protein usually, and gorilllas eat 30+lbs of food per day. it's theorized, and likely, that cooking food is what gave humans their evolutionary advantage, supplying more calories.
There are vegan bodybuilders or vegetarian MMA fighters. So veganism does not make growing large muscles impossible in humans.
the issue isnt muscle size, but nutrient status. vegetarians will be fine... but vegans are unable to get certain nutrients at ALL without supplementation.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

marc108 wrote:yes, but you wouldnt be able to safely eat enough leafy greens to get an appreciable amount of protein.
If you drink 5+ liters of green smoothes (done in high quality blender like Vitamix), with some (raw) hemp, you will.
marc108 wrote: animal physiology and dietetics arent the same as humans. you cant make those type of comparisons between animals and humans... cows are fed grain & soy protein usually, and gorilllas eat 30+lbs of food per day.
it's theorized, and likely, that cooking food is what gave humans their evolutionary advantage, supplying more calories.
Take highest quality probiotics that you can find to build healthy gut flora. Avoid anti-biotics as much as possible.

As for cooking food. A 100g of cooked steak has much more calories than 100g of greens. Sure. What I have read is that one of the problems of early people was that they had to feed whole day long on fruits, vegetables, greens, etc. They didn't have time for much else. Today with blenders we can drink far more greens and much quicker. As quick as cooking food. And if you need calories, you can add raw high quality oils.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

In what a humain life is more important that life of an another living being?

Who eat meat there?
Hello, i'am cannibal, can you sand a little part of you brain please? I love it so much !! If some one have childrens here, i eat it too :woohoo: I LOVE EVEREBODY ! :popcorn:

PS joke :juggling:
or not?
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
corrine

Post by corrine »

Funny thing. I eat almost totally a raw diet, but for a completely different reason. After my husband died, I decided that there was no longer any reason to cook. It is time consuming and after I had done all the work, I ate in a few minutes. So why bother. There are so many other, important things to do with my time.

So now, unless something unusual happens, everything I eat is raw and fresh. I do not eat meat and have not for decades, so it is easy. Nothing else really needs cooking. I eat lots of nuts and seeds and whole grain cereals and breads and several servings of different fruits and veggies a day. Been doing this for years. No ill effects. I have lots of energy and rarely am ill. I am old and still function as I always have. I work hard and have a very high energy level. And my brain still functions properly too.

I think we all know what foods are good for us and what foods are not. What foods have the fewest negative implications for the world and for the individual. The problem arises because negative foods taste good. We tend to like only sweet and fat and salt. So we look for reasons to justify eating what is essentially junk food. Our taste buds are corrupted by years of bad eating. It takes some time to re-learn to appreciate the natural taste of healthy, positive foods.

I think people tend to say something is difficult or causes ill effects because they do not want to do it. I say, do it if you wish. For me, only positive results. If you do not wish to do so, then do not. No need to rationalize our choices. Just be aware of them and their consequences.

corrine :namaste:
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

Hi Corrine,

It appears you eat mostly Raw but not entirley Raw? Bread isnt Raw and a lot of wholegrain cereals arent necessarily raw depending on which ones. I make a Raw Granola which is one of teh best breakfasts imaginable in my opinion. So there is Raw and there is Raw. As it is commonly thought of these days, a Raw diet is very, very foccussed on everything that is being eaten is in fact in its Raw state.

I am just pointing this out as Raw does mean uncooked and in its most natural state.....that is unprocessed as most processing involves heating and changing the composition of foods. As we have discussed in the forum here, there is conjecture and also facts whch suggest that sometimes cooking food is good, but as always there are two sides to the coin and in my view too many times cooking is not good, particulalry as most people and restaurants when cooking use a lot of processed additives.

But it seems you are eating very healthy which your body an dthus your mind would love.

With Metta
Eamonn
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

DN 1
Brahmajāla Sutta: The All-embracing Net of Views

10. "Or he might say: 'The recluse Gotama abstains from damaging seed and plant life. He eats only in one part of the day, refraining from food at night and from eating at improper times. He abstains from dancing, singing, instrumental music, and witnessing unsuitable shows. He abstains from wearing garlands, embellishing himself with scents, and beautifying himself with unguents. He abstains from accepting gold and silver. He abstains from accepting uncooked grain, raw meat, women and girls, male and female slaves, goats and sheep, fowl and swine, elephants, cattle, horses and mares. He abstains from accepting fields and lands. He abstains from running messages and errands. He abstains from buying and selling, and from dealing with false weights, false metals, and false measures. He abstains from the crooked ways of bribery, deception, and fraud. He abstains from mutilating, executing, imprisoning, robbery, plunder, and violence.'
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english