Ven. Vimalaramsi on the Abhidhamma & the Visuddhi Magga

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tiltbillings

Re: Ven. Vimalaramsi on the Abhidhamma & the Visuddhi Magga

Post by tiltbillings »

mirco wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Access concentration does not stop stuff, including hindrances, from arising.
Can you describe in detail with your own words what happens when you go through access concentration?
I am going to say no to that given that that pushes into an area of talking about personal experience I do not feel comfortable talking about in public, as it were. But let me ask you in turn, were in the suttas does it say that the hindrances do not arise in access concentration?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Well, since the suttas don't even mention this "access concentration", that's a going to be a pretty difficult question to answer...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Well, since the suttas don't even mention this "access concentration", that's a going to be a pretty difficult question to answer...

Metta,
Retro. :)
Given the sutta-only stance of Vimalaramsi, that is kind of the point.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723