defilements

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

defilements

Post by befriend »

how do we look at things without creating defilments? thank you
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Cittasanto

Re: defilements

Post by Cittasanto »

befriend wrote:how do we look at things without creating defilments? thank you
argue against what you find true. it will give you an appreciation for another perspective, also it will show how personally you take things, how certain they are to you!
look at your own arguments for the "thing" (when arguing in favour for it, are they personal or impersonal (there is a fine line people confuse here "that is foolish" as opposed to "you are foolish"). in the canon the Buddha is seen as calling people foolish (particularly within the vinaya) but what follows this is very telling
The Blessed Buddha rebuked him, saying, 'This would be improper, O foolish one, crooked, unsuitable, unworthy of a Samana, unbecoming, and it ought not to be done. How can you, O foolish one, adopt nakedness as the Titthiyas do? This will not conduce, O foolish one, to the conversion of the unconverted.'

it is quite obvious (to me at-least) that the Buddha is addressing the action being done, not the person, although he also has to address the person doing the act.
but I shared a couple of videos from youtube which may help frame beliefs although they are not from a theravadin perspective.

in essence try not to take things personnally, as all is not self Anatta-lakkhaṇa Sutta - The Not-Self Characteristic Discourse - SN 22.59; VinMv6.20 (Vin.I.6.20) and what is taken as a self is more likely to burn us Āditta-pariyāya Sutta - The That Which Burns Discourse - S.35.28; Vin.Mv.I.12.
Last edited by Cittasanto on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Yana

Post by Yana »

befriend wrote:how do we look at things without creating defilments? thank you
With a Pure Mind.
Life is preparing for Death
befriend

Post by befriend »

thank you for the help but im wondering should i move my vision quickly not to stay on one object to long so i start to like it?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

befriend wrote:thank you for the help but im wondering should i move my vision quickly not to stay on one object to long so i start to like it?
Try to see it as a collection of parts, the unattractiveness of it.

but what type of object?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
befriend

Post by befriend »

grass, weeds, roses, my driveway a car. when i say say see it, i mean literally, see it. not see it in the sense how do i feel about its makeup.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

befriend wrote:grass, weeds, roses, my driveway a car. when i say say see it, i mean literally, see it. not see it in the sense how do i feel about its makeup.
reflect on it as a collection of parts, feeding on death, subject to die, withering.
their downsides, they are after all subject to change, cost money, could be damaged, lost, stolen, needing maintained...

it would really depend on what it is how you reflect on it at the end of the day.

John Stuart Mill
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

By seen things as they are. Ie. in terms of Anitya,Dukkha,Anatta.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

SarathW wrote:By seen things as they are. Ie. in terms of Anitya,Dukkha,Anatta.
yeah, if there is some desire or as a preliminary to make it easier use the death and body breakdown.

John Stuart Mill
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

befriend wrote:grass, weeds, roses, my driveway a car. when i say say see it, i mean literally, see it. not see it in the sense how do i feel about its makeup.
I think we need to inject some common sense in our practice.

I mean if looking at grass and liking it is your greatest defilement, then you are doing much better than me, befriend, and you should stop reading here. For that matter, you should probably stop reading this forum altogether.

Perhaps it is a lot more useful to cultivate the Brahmaviharas and the Paramis than worrying if we like grass or roses? But if you want a practice, then turning the attention inward and becoming aware of what is happening inwardly rather than being sways by the senses can be a good practice.
_/|\_
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

SarathW wrote:By seen things as they are. Ie. in terms of Anitya,Dukkha,Anatta.
Which will naturally lead you to develop Brahmaviharas (as Dan said)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Yana

Post by Yana »

Dan74 wrote: I think we need to inject some common sense in our practice.

I mean if looking at grass and liking it is your greatest defilement, then you are doing much better than me, befriend, and you should stop reading here. For that matter, you should probably stop reading this forum altogether.
:lol: :goodpost:
Life is preparing for Death
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

how do we look at things without creating defilments? thank you
Notice that greed or anger is arising in the mind at the earliest possible. Remind yourself, "Look there is now greed or anger in the mind. They arise and will surely pass away. My only duty is to watch these defilements arise and pass; nothing more"
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.