Meditation Challenge on the Radio

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Pacific

Meditation Challenge on the Radio

Post by Pacific »

Radio National (in Australia) has a daily life issues program called Life Matters. Life Matters has launched a 6 week Meditation Challenge. Obviously it's going to be shying away from any "religious" aspects & I think that's to be expected. anyway Buddhists don't own meditation and a bit like the mindfulness trend I tend to think anything is better than nothing if helps people and it may lead them towards the Dhamma. My main concern with what i've heard so far is that as someone who does a lot of metta, this meditation is often ignored or glossed over as an afterthought and I'd like to see metta addressed more.
the website is here: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... ge/4341242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Re: Meditation Challenge on the Radio

Post by Ben »

Thanks Pacific.
I was listening to RN last night and heard about it and wasn't sure that I heard things right!
Obviously, I did.
I look forward to the 'challenge'.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

I heard RN this morning and several people who took up the challenge reported on their experience and a teacher (who i've not heard of) gave advice. The repeat is on tonight, or online. it was interesting. I just wonder why photos of people meditating always look the way they do. I've never seen anyone do those mudras in real life, doesn't look comfortable at all
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes, I heard the first one earlier today, and I'll follow up with the second installation tonight.

Those photos are just stock images from a commercial image library. I think anyone involved in meditation in any serious way would have used something different rather than pictures that represent misleading stereotypes. Despite that, it is a great initiative to have on public radio.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Online link?...please... :coffee:
Ben

Post by Ben »

appicchato wrote:Online link?...please... :coffee:
Hi Bhante,

The following link will take you to a page with links to both episodes (week one and two) and the meditation tool kit:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... n-toolkit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For week one and two - click on the 'listen now' or 'download audio' buttons.

kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Thank you kindly Ben...