The erosion of America's freedoms - its all our fault!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Sambojjhanga

Re: The erosion of America's freedoms - its all our fault!

Post by Sambojjhanga »

I do believe that, as TiltBillings said, that many Repbulicans/right-wing types absolutely dislike "people of color" and that this is what is behind this vehement hatred of Obama by the right. Personally, I'm disgusted by Obama's cow-towing to Wallstreet and the Corporatacracy, so I'm not really a huge Obama fan (though I did vote for him.) He's disappointed me a lot. I realize that much of what he ran into was a Repbulican wall in the Congress, but never-the-less, he could've done more. Should've done more.

Having said that, I am voting for him again as I believe that MItt Romney would be the worse president this country has ever seen (and that's saying a lot having lived through both Reagan and Bush.)
Sabba rasam dhammaraso jinati
The flavor of the dhamma exceeds all other flavors
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Sambojjhanga wrote:I do believe that, as TiltBillings said, that many Repbulicans/right-wing types absolutely dislike "people of color" and that this is what is behind this vehement hatred of Obama by the right. Personally, I'm disgusted by Obama's cow-towing to Wallstreet and the Corporatacracy, so I'm not really a huge Obama fan (though I did vote for him.) He's disappointed me a lot. I realize that much of what he ran into was a Repbulican wall in the Congress, but never-the-less, he could've done more. Should've done more.

Having said that, I am voting for him again as I believe that MItt Romney would be the worse president this country has ever seen (and that's saying a lot having lived through both Reagan and Bush.)
As they say, better disappointed than repulsed.

Of course, I live in a state where Satan himself could run as a Republican and he'd still get our votes, so I am at least in the somewhat more interesting camp of being able to vote without any possible consequence. There's a man in my county running who actually changed his legal name to "Pro Life" and I'm thinking of voting for him; hopefully some civil rights group will see that he actually got a handful of votes and send some much-needed reproductive rights funding to my poor little Idaho town.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Cittasanto wrote: was it Rocky Anderson of the Justice Party?
No, but once again there were presidential candidates on the ballot that I've never heard of before. I'd vote for a third or forth party in a heartbeat if I thought I wouldn't be wasting my vote.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Warning- Spoiler Alert!
I heard from a reliable but schizophrenic psychic that this person will be president in 2017:

She will save the world from total environmental disaster in 2017, but the world is ultimately destroyed from that same environmental disaster in 2018.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Monkey Mind wrote:Warning- Spoiler Alert!
I heard from a reliable but schizophrenic psychic that this person will be president in 2017:

She will save the world from total environmental disaster in 2017, but the world is ultimately destroyed from that same environmental disaster in 2018.
Right. Six years to do what I really want. OK, that's reasonable - thanks, MM, this is exactly the impetus I needed!
_/|\_