Meditation 'nuts-n-bolts' (anapanasati)

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Dhammabodhi

Re: Meditation 'nuts-n-bolts' (anapanasati)

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Hi all,

Thank you again for the replies.

@Ben: Thanks for the encouragement, but I really do think they were silly questions in the sense that I'd never be able to grasp such concepts as nimitta's unless I myself experience and analyse them(if I'm able to). However, to know that there are people who have experienced it is immensely inspiring and motivating! So I'm grateful to you for sharing your experiences with me. :anjali:

@Dmytro: Your explanations were truly wonderful! It answers some questions but, in turn, raised some others(again,silly in the above sense :roll: ) in my mind, e.g. if residual perceptual images in the mind affect what kind of nimitta's one is going to see/experience, wouldn't they also include negative experiences like pain/stress etc. or positive experiences without visual concomitants like feelings such as love/compassion? Somehow I'm tempted to question the "hows" of the process, the chain of events that lead to such experiences. Sorry! :toilet:

@nathan: I'm not qualified to label my practice, because I do not know the exact definition of "insight" in this context. However, I can explain what I do: I try to sense the breath air on my nostrils area, going in and coming out. I try to observe the variety of sensations. Recently I've started observing the lengths of the in- and out- breaths after I sense I've achieved a certain level of concentration. Thank you for your encouragement! :anjali:

Metta,
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
nathan

Post by nathan »

Dhammabodhi wrote:@nathan: I'm not qualified to label my practice, because I do not know the exact definition of "insight" in this context. However, I can explain what I do: I try to sense the breath air on my nostrils area, going in and coming out. I try to observe the variety of sensations. Recently I've started observing the lengths of the in- and out- breaths after I sense I've achieved a certain level of concentration. Thank you for your encouragement! :anjali:

Metta,
Dhammabodhi
If you simply note relaxation and pleasant feelings without getting agitated by them this should be an aid to concentration which should improve in concert with these two. Allow the periphery of your attention to gently converge at the central object of your focus; the simple, pleasant and relaxing sensation of your breathing. For insight to develop you can start to examine the breath very intently, noting all of the myriad changes in what you are aware of. Then you can note the appearance and disappearance of this phenomena. Then you can note the three characteristics within the phenomena of the breath and whatever else arises to conscious and mindful attention.

metta & upekkha
:anjali:

I had a chance to read Ajahn Brahm's short little tract on beginning meditation & breath meditation while on a recent monastery visit. Does anyone know if it is available in electronic form somewhere on the net? I thought it was an excellent introduction to beginning meditation practice.

Ah. Here we are:

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebmed035.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Basic Method of Meditation
Ajahn Brahmavamso

(Edited from a talk given by Ajahn Brahmavamso during a 9-day retreat
in North Perth, Western Australia, December 1997)
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Dhammaodhi,
if residual perceptual images in the mind affect what kind of nimitta's one is going to see/experience, wouldn't they also include negative experiences like pain/stress etc. or positive experiences without visual concomitants like feelings such as love/compassion?
The whole layer of impressions related to sensuality, positive or negative, is peeled off:

"Quite withdrawn from sensual pleasures, withdrawn from unskillful mental qualities, the monk enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. His earlier perception (saññā) of sensuality ceases, and on that occasion there is a perception of a refined truth of rapture & pleasure born of seclusion. On that occasion he is one who is percipient of a refined truth of rapture & pleasure born of seclusion. And thus it is that with training one perception arises and with training another perception ceases."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nimitta isn't a static thing - perceptual image of the basis of concentration becomes more and more refined.

Just do it :^)

Best wishes, Dmytro
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Nathan,

I have some reservations about the approach of Ven.Brahmavamso:

http://www.bswa.org/modules/newbb/viewt ... 02&forum=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Nathan,
nathan wrote: I had a chance to read Ajahn Brahm's short little tract on beginning meditation & breath meditation while on a recent monastery visit. Does anyone know if it is available in electronic form somewhere on the net? I thought it was an excellent introduction to beginning meditation practice.

Ah. Here we are:

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebmed035.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can also download the first few chapters of "Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond" from http://bswa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which I think goes over the same material in more detail.

Metta
Mike
nathan

Post by nathan »

Dmytro wrote:Hi Nathan,

I have some reservations about the approach of Ven.Brahmavamso:

http://www.bswa.org/modules/newbb/viewt ... 02&forum=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
hi Dmytro;

Yes, well I imagine that Dhammabodhi, who isn't sure what the difference between insight and concentration are, has a ways to go before he is facing similar issues to those such as you or I might be struggling with. It seemed to me as though he was looking for some basic introductory practice instructions. This short text seemed like a good guide for that. Perhaps you can suggest something else, equally straightforward, that would be better.
:anjali:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Thank you everyone, especially Nathan and Dmytro. :anjali: I'll now shut up and follow the "Just do it" rule.

I'm sorry for not being able to reply earlier. The loss of a family member and some other things kept me away. Although it seems lately there has been a lot of discussion and debate about abstract philosophical ideas which I do not really understand anyway, so I guess I haven't missed a lot.

Metta,
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka