Buddhism cult

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ignobleone

Buddhism cult

Post by ignobleone »

Hi,

Someone via pm warned me that this forum is a cult. Maybe some of you have anything to say regarding this claim as well as some other things he also said:
- Most monks are 'clueless', thus you need to cultivate jhana yourself to be an authority
- Since monks are clueless, talking about faith(sadha) in the Sangha is a nonsense

He sent me the pm in response to my comments on jhana related threads. When I ask what clues he has concerning the 1st jhana, I don't see he has some other things beside the jhana factors. I wonder if he has categorized people including himself (into 'clueless' and 'not clueless' category) correctly.

When explaining about jhana, he relates the 1st jhana with stream-entry. This sounds familiar to me. I guess he came from the pragmatic dharma forum out there such as founded by Kenneth Folk, Daniel Ingram, etc, with weird views on jhana.

:juggling:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Buddhism cult

Post by DNS »

:D

I would think it would be pretty hard to be a cult if you are an online forum. It would be kind of hard to control people's behavior when you don't see them, don't meet them, don't even know what many of the people here look like. :lol:
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

ignobleone wrote:Hi,

Someone via pm warned me that this forum is a cult. Maybe some of you have anything to say regarding this claim as well as some other things he also said:
- Most monks are 'clueless', thus you need to cultivate jhana yourself to be an authority
- Since monks are clueless, talking about faith(sadha) in the Sangha is a nonsense ...
Sounds rather Elemental
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

David N. Snyder wrote::D

I would think it would be pretty hard to be a cult if you are an online forum. It would be kind of hard to control people's behavior when you don't see them, don't meet them, don't even know what many of the people here look like. :lol:
I agree master! what shall we think now?
:tongue:

ok couldn't resist brown nosing the admin... for this thread!

I think there is a diverse group of views and opinions here unlike some places, so maybe it is just projection? who cares what some anonymous person thinks.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Cittasanto wrote: I think there is a diverse group of views and opinions here unlike some places, so maybe it is just projection? who cares what some anonymous person thinks.
:goodpost:
Cittasanto wrote: I agree master! what shall we think now?
By the way, it's your turn to clean my toilet. :tongue:
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I've heard criticism that "People at Dhamma Wheel are fundamentalists because they quote relevant suttas and expect that to be accepted!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
James the Giant wrote:I've heard criticism that "People at Dhamma Wheel are fundamentalists because they quote relevant suttas and expect that to be accepted!
Well, refuge in the Buddha and the Dhamma is fundamental to being Buddhist.

8-)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Yana

Post by Yana »

Someone via pm warned me that this forum is a cult.
Yes actually that someone is doing my homework right now..apparently i brain washed him...? hm strange :tongue:
Life is preparing for Death
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Yana wrote: Yes actually that someone is doing my homework right now..apparently i brain washed him...? hm strange :tongue:
Good job. :thumbsup:
James the Giant wrote:I've heard criticism that "People at Dhamma Wheel are fundamentalists because they quote relevant suttas and expect that to be accepted!
Do you have the coordinates of the subversives? We can send a squad car over right away! :spy: :jedi:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

:rofl:

PS: yes, element is certainly a possibility.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Modus.Ponens wrote::rofl:

PS: yes, element is certainly a possibility.
it does appear he has been back recently.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
ground

Post by ground »

Someone via pm warned me that this forum is a cult.
if consciousness seeks a home then it is the opposite of liberation but actually self-supporting the sense of "I" and "mine". This occurs in different contexts so it may also occur in the context of the internet and its forums. Can such a phenomenon appropriately be called "cult"? :sage:
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I'm glad I am not the only one to suspect this. There must be some type of subliminal mind control going on here, why else would I be reading DW when I have important homework to do? :spy:
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Yana

Post by Yana »

Monkey Mind wrote:I'm glad I am not the only one to suspect this. There must be some type of subliminal mind control going on here, why else would I be reading DW when I have important homework to do? :spy:
That's what i Thought!I am Hooked on reading thread after the thread! :coffee:
Life is preparing for Death
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

- Since monks are clueless, talking about faith(sadha) in the Sangha is a nonsense

He sent me the pm in response to my comments on jhana related threads. When I ask what clues he has concerning the 1st jhana, I don't see he has some other things beside the jhana factors. I wonder if he has categorized people including himself (into 'clueless' and 'not clueless' category) correctly.

When explaining about jhana, he relates the 1st jhana with stream-entry. This sounds familiar to me. I guess he came from the pragmatic dharma forum out there such as founded by Kenneth Folk, Daniel Ingram, etc, with weird views on jhana.

Im not a theravadan buddhist. My experience with this forum is that it is perhaps the sanest, most fairly moderated and tolerant buddhist forum on the internet. Its prudent to be careful who you credit with authority and i would start with the guy that sent you the pm :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig