Wintertime: extended time for meal?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Alobha

Wintertime: extended time for meal?

Post by Alobha »

Hey everyone,

Does the switch to wintertime mean, that the bhikkhus are allowed to eat until 13:00 ?
Since the Vinaya uses the sun peak as an orientation, that would be my interpretation. How is this commonly dealt with? Are Bhikkhus sticking to 12:00 just for the simplicity or do they extend the time where food is allowable to 13:00 ?

Best wishes,
Alobha
James the Giant

Re: Wintertime: extended time for meal?

Post by James the Giant »

The few monasteries I have stayed at have always eaten at the same clock time regardless of winter or summer time. 11am or 11.30am on the clock. I seem to remember it is for the convenience of the laypeople, so they don't get confused about what time they should come to give dana.

But one time I remember going out to do some shopping for the monastery (I was a long term lay guest), and I came back at 12.37pm... and to my horror I realised had missed lunch and I'd have to fast until the next day! Horror!
But then the Ajahn came in and said, "Check the solar noon, it's mid winter, so it may be later today."
I checked the newspaper for the solar noon, and I had three minutes! I quickly wolfed down some bread and half a cold pie and that was enough. Relief! You may have guessed I don't like fasting.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Alobha wrote:Hey everyone,

Does the switch to wintertime mean, that the bhikkhus are allowed to eat until 13:00 ?
Since the Vinaya uses the sun peak as an orientation, that would be my interpretation. How is this commonly dealt with? Are Bhikkhus sticking to 12:00 just for the simplicity or do they extend the time where food is allowable to 13:00 ?

Best wishes,
Alobha
no winter is the mean-time, i.e., in the UK it is GMT not BST which is an hour ahead.
the meal is at 12:00 in accord with the mean-time, and in the summer you gain an hour and can eat until 13:00.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Noon local time...period...
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Thanks! :anjali: