what karma decides the gender of an individual

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
for49

what karma decides the gender of an individual

Post by for49 »

buddhist text says that to attain budha you must be born as a male ? consequntly why cant anyone attain budhahood when born as a female and what kamic consequences decides the gender of an individual?
retrofuturist

Re: what karma decides the gender of an individual

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
buddhist text says that to attain budha you must be born as a male ? consequntly why cant anyone attain budhahood when born as a female
This issue has been exhaustively covered in the following topic...

Women can't become Buddhas?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't remember if that topic answered this question...
...and what kamic consequences decides the gender of an individual?
... but have a read through and chances are you may no longer be so interested in the answer to this question.

Having seen a few of your posts, it seems you have some understanding of Tibetan Buddhism so it will be interesting for you to see how Theravada treats the difference between a "Buddha" and an "Arahant".

Any questions about any of that, feel free to ask.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
for49

Post by for49 »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
buddhist text says that to attain budha you must be born as a male ? consequntly why cant anyone attain budhahood when born as a female
This issue has been exhaustively covered in the following topic...

Women can't become Buddhas?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't remember if that topic answered this question...
...and what kamic consequences decides the gender of an individual?
... but have a read through and chances are you may no longer be so interested in the answer to this question.

Having seen a few of your posts, it seems you have some understanding of Tibetan Buddhism so it will be interesting for you to see how Theravada treats the difference between a "Buddha" and an "Arahant".

Any questions about any of that, feel free to ask.

Metta,
Retro. :)
dear friend
i m a newbie here and i m intrested in the theraveda .i think the basic teaching and principle of buddhism is same the difference is only the way followed in reaching the goals.
and i am still intrested in the answer to my question :anjali:
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

for49 wrote:i m a newbie here and i m intrested in the theraveda .i think the basic teaching and principle of buddhism is same the difference is only the way followed in reaching the goals.
How do you know this if you don't know anything about Theravada? I think it would be wiser to not assume the different traditions are the same until you've learned a bit more.
and i am still intrested in the answer to my question :anjali:
Did you read the thread retro linked you to yet?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

for49 wrote:buddhist text says that to attain budha you must be born as a male ? consequntly why cant anyone attain budhahood when born as a female and what kamic consequences decides the gender of an individual?

Leaving aside the question of Buddhahood for now, there seems to be a widespread belief in Buddhist countries that being born as a woman is somehow the result of bad kamma. This is an example (an Asian woman reporting about her meeting with some senior monks from the Thai forest tradition):

At the second day I met a monk from Thailand. He was with another Thai men who went to give him a massage. At some point I told them that I would be great if I was a boy so that I can give a massage to a monk and take care of him more. Anyway, when a Thai monk learnt that I wanted to become a boy so that I could take care of him more , he said you want to be born again as a man you have to keep at least 5 precepts fully. Another man said something like you are a girl because you hadn't keep the precepts well in the past lives. However, I far as I learnt, as long as you are satisfied with you gender it means you have kept precepts quite well in the past. Those who are lady boys (again! this could be seen as discrimination, but I learnt that from some Thai Buddhist books), have large tendencies that they didn't keep precepts well. Anyway, I think it doesn't really matter on that day , I didn't feel seriously irritated or anything. I just realise that many Thai middle-age men have very strong sexism stereotype of women in Buddhism.

There is a lot in the Jataka tales and other Indian folklore that would justify this kind of view, but I have not come across it anywhere in the Suttas.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

gavesako wrote:
There is a lot in the Jataka tales and other Indian folklore that would justify this kind of view, but I have not come across it anywhere in the Suttas.
:thumbsup:

Exactly, it seems to be more a cultural thing, not something from the Suttas. The Suttas are full of examples of fully enlightened arahant bhikkhunis (nuns).