Can we eat food cooked by Buddhists?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
thornbush

Can we eat food cooked by Buddhists?

Post by thornbush »

I was sent this Youtube video link by a friend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iix5v1yt ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And listen to how His Eminence Francis Cardinal Arinze (profile here) answered a gentleman who was the second person at 4:20 in the video on the official Church stand on food prepared by non-Catholics and if they are consumable by Catholics.
Some Christians have an issue with eating stuff prepared by non-Christians and even extended it to totally non religious places like restaurants and hotels with an extreme interpretation of what St Paul said in his 1st Letter to the Corinthians, Chapter 8:1-11:1:
http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=1Cr&c=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol [is] nothing in the world, and that [there is] none other God but one.
For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.
How be it [there is] not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat [it] as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to them that are weak.
For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
Your thoughts on this? Though, I dunno why is it that when 'Chinese' is mentioned, there is an assumption that they are 'Buddhist'? :shrug: :thanks:
kc2dpt

Re: Can we eat food cooked by Buddhists?

Post by kc2dpt »

What does an odd reading of catholic scripture have to do with Buddhism? From what I can tell, that passage says one is not to eat food that is part of an offering to idols. What this has to do with eating food cooked by non-Catholics is beyond me. Why you think this has any bearing on Buddhists is beyond me as well. I'm just confused.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

This OP reads as if it were intended for posting on a Catholic board, not here ...
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
thornbush

Post by thornbush »

Probably, some here may not have to deal with some Christians who raise food sharing concerns in your part of the world.

In my part of the world, I have had incidents where Buddhists ask me on this matter where their Catholic/Christian kindred/friends objects to bringing food back to their home or bringing them to 'non-Christian restaurants', besides the food sitting on our Buddhist altars or food offerings distributed by the Vihara/Buddhist Centre/Temple for the poor or charity. They won't even share the same food that you are eating based on that piece of Scripture, that I had attached here to let all see what is the basis of their objection. Just because you don't face this dilemma, doesn't mean it doesn't exists in other parts of the world. So, with this video, with the official answer by the Prelate, at least, if, when one meets such Catholics who may have the same objections, you know how to answer them. These are some of the dynamics that some Buddhists like myself face in this part of Asia where I live and similarly I have read even happening in the West as evidenced by the video. And no, I did not ask anyone to watch the entire video but merely the excerpt starting at 4:20, which was indicated until the Prelate finishes answering his question.

That is why I raised this in the Lounge where almost any topic goes and not in Classical/Modern/General Theravada Forums?
One can post on mundane secular issues here but I can't raise a real scenario facing some Buddhists in some parts of the world is it?
And as for the title of the thread, I was just merely following as per the video title, that's all.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

If someone doesn't want to eat my food due to their religious concerns... then that's their issue and I'm gonna respect that. Even if I don't understand it or agree with it. I brought some food to a friend's house. He kept kosher. The food was kosher but the box was open so he couldn't accept it. :shrug: No big deal. He's following certain rules and I respect that.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Thornbush

I was raised in a staunch Catholic household and attended Catholic schools. I have never encountered this in practice (within my own family, or observed in other families), nor have I heard it discussed as a part of Catholic doctrine. In the hundreds of church sermons I have attended, not once was this quite bizarre artefact ever mentioned.
If however, I did encounter a Catholic who cited the above as defence for not eating food prepared by me, I would as Peter suggested, ackowledge and respect that it was that person's 'requirement'.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..