Lay Practice at Home

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
dsaly1969

Lay Practice at Home

Post by dsaly1969 »

I first learned about Buddhism through Japanese Mahayana Buddhist lay schools which focus on home-based "liturgical" practice in front of the altar so I am looking for something similar in the Theravada traditions. I would think it would include the recitation of the Three Refuges (with prostrations), the Five Precepts, etc. with the traditional offerings of incense (joss sticks), candles or oil lamps, and flowers before a period of sitting meditation. I have two kids (ages 12 and 14) who also want to participate and practice (yay!). Links to resources or posting of your daily "liturgies" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:anjali:
Ben

Re: Lay Practice at Home

Post by Ben »

Greetings,

Check out this booklet: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el206.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi dsaly1969,

You might also enjoy selections from this chanting booklet in Pali and English which was produced by Amaravati Theravada Thai Forest Tradition Monastery in the UK. It contains morning and evening chants and reflections.

http://www.amaravati.org/documents/ABM_ ... k_2006.pdf

There's an audio of some of the chants from it somewhere on the internet - but I don't have a URL link at the moment, sorry.

with kind wishes,

Aloka.
Last edited by Aloka on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsaly1969

Post by dsaly1969 »

Ben wrote:Greetings,

Check out this booklet: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el206.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kind regards,

Ben
Wow! Great resource! Thanks!

I'm also interested in how others do their practice at home. :smile:
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

A while back I made a little booklet for chanting that had a preliminary homage and the Discourse on Loving Kindness for the morning and a closing homage and the Five Recollections for the evening, as well as a guide to the Uposatha days, precepts, refuges, etc.

I could upload it for you somewhere if you'd like. I think it's all taken from Thanisarro's link above though, so you could just make your own.

Great to hear your kids are interested!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
dsaly1969

Post by dsaly1969 »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:A while back I made a little booklet for chanting that had a preliminary homage and the Discourse on Loving Kindness for the morning and a closing homage and the Five Recollections for the evening, as well as a guide to the Uposatha days, precepts, refuges, etc.

I could upload it for you somewhere if you'd like. I think it's all taken from Thanisarro's link above though, so you could just make your own.

Great to hear your kids are interested!
If you could upload or e-mail it to me I would be grateful. Being being sick and in pain and having to still work in the meantime I often find myself exhausted both physically and mentally.
Yana

Post by Yana »

dsaly1969 wrote: Being being sick and in pain and having to still work in the meantime I often find myself exhausted both physically and mentally.
hi,

Sorry to hear that you are sick. Take it easy and be gentle with yourself. :hug: I borrowed the Dhammapada from the library.It's a Buddhist scripture. i usually just read it in bed when i'm not feeling well.Besides that I just meditate.

You know what could be really great for your kids. Loving-Kindness meditation (Metta).

This is how i do my Metta it's very basic but might suit your kids:

1. First I look at pictures of cute,loving,and friendly puppies,cartoons,flowers,or kittens or anything that warms my heart.
2.Then i repeat the words "loving kindness" and concentrate on this warm feeling.I visualize anything that makes me more loving and kind.Till the feelings gets bigger and bigger.
3.Then i send it to myself.
4.Then i send it someone who has cared for me.
5.Then send it to someone it to a friend.
6.Send it to someone you are indifferent to.Like a stranger.A passerby.
7.Send it to someone you are uncomfortable around.
8.Send it to someone who has really hurt you.
9.Then just send it to everyone.

Note:
Keep repeating: May I/he/she be happy.You are wishing yourself and others well.
You must do it in order.
The people you send loving kindness should be the same gender as you and they can't be of deceased relatives.

The goal is to make you a more loving and gentle person.

So i hope this helps. :smile:

Get better soon. :buddha2:
Life is preparing for Death
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

dsaly1969 wrote: Links to resources or posting of your daily "liturgies" would be greatly appreciated.

:anjali:
Another great resource for "hands on" material for puja/devotions is Inward Path Publisher. They have a nice variety of chanting books in Pali and English. The books are free- the only payment required is for shipping. Here are a few texts you may find helpful.

http://www.inwardpath.org

http://www.inwardpath.org/ipp2u/catalog ... cts_id=100

http://www.inwardpath.org/ipp2u/catalog ... ucts_id=94

They also have a lot of really nice audio CDs for chanting and meditation practice. Enjoy your practice with your children!
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
chataranga

Post by chataranga »

Greetings,
I'm very new to the forum(found it a few weeks ago and registered minutes ago). I'm not
buddhist or anything else for that matter, but working on a path of sorts. I practice metta meditation daily and am curious as to why the persons we are sending lovingkindness to have to be of the same gender. I send metta to many folks I know regardless of gender. I also send metta to "all beings everywhere" which would include I believe deceased relatives as well as beings not yet born or reborn as the case may be. Thank you for any help and blessings to all.