Going for majour Surgery today !

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Cittasanto

Going for majour Surgery today !

Post by Cittasanto »

on the tip of my index finger, to remove the remaining wood from my finger!
ok so not major but getting opened up in a trying to put a manly spin on it kind of way :P

Got a splinter last night (4CMish) so had to go to A&E :(
it seams to of bent in the middle in some way or broken :( so they couldn't take it out last night.
got a tetnis jab which included polio and another one and sent home with about 1CM left in :(

it woke me up this morning as it became painful but apart from the initial incident it didn't hurt or bleed until they put anasthetic to the area.
so they are having a little exploration to get it out in an hour (I am calling it amputation for manly feel-good effect).
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

Re: Going for majour Surgery today !

Post by tiltbillings »

ouch and may it go well.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Keep it manly! I had a similar experience some years ago. I shall relate it with a series of clues, each more cunning than the next.
nailer.jpg
nailer.jpg (22.66 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
nail.jpg
nail.jpg (75.8 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
finger.jpg
finger.jpg (7.2 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
It got me in the knuckle. Pooh!

The nurses insisted I sit in a wheel chair, 'cause they figured I was liable to faint. Yet I had driven several kilometres from the jobsite to the hospital.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Since we are sharing compressed air driven experiences:

Blinding, inchoate pain. Through the nail, but totally missed the bone. That, I am guessing, would have rendered me unconscious. All better now.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Cittasanto, Tilt,

Hope you are feeling O.K. now - but, just be thankful that you are not a woman in childbirth labour. :jumping:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:Hello Cittasanto, Tilt,

Hope you are feeling O.K. now - but, just be thankful that you are not a woman in childbirth labour. :jumping:

with metta
Chris
It was a fair numbers of years ago. As for childbirth, I was badly constipated once.

Yana

Post by Yana »

Take care and Get better soon :hug:
Life is preparing for Death
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

the surgery took an hour in total under local anaesthetic, fun!
signed off work for 2 weeks now :( but at least it gives me time to practice :D

couldn't see what was happening, or inside my finger :( would of been fun as I remembered a mirror experiment with amputees and became curious to see if seeing inside my finger while it was numb would of been disassociated?

the piece was about 1cm long so I am guessing the total length was between 3cm & 4cm max. and about 2mm wide.

while the finger is out of action my spelling may become interesting as I keep pressing the wrong ones on the keyboard, so apologies in advance.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tiltbillings wrote:
cooran wrote:Hello Cittasanto, Tilt,

with metta
Chris
It was a fair numbers of years ago. As for childbirth, I was badly constipated once.
yes the pains of constipation if only they knew :tongue:
had to go to hospital once due to that also. oh the many things I end up in hospital with!

John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

I'm glad the surgery went well, Cittasanto.
I hope I can keep you gainfully entertained with my manly adventures of my own, via facebook.
Getting chased by a swarm of bees while on a ride on mower (Benny Hill style), psychosis with chainsaw and dancing with deadly snakes.
Maybe i should get rid of this wimpy goatie and grow a handle-bar moustache!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

Greetings, Cittasanto

Sorry to hear about your accident.

As a retired safety engineer, I have a few questions for the sake of improving public safety.:

1. What lessons did you learn from your accident, which might prevent it from occurring in the future?

2. Why were you given so much medical leave? For example: Did you get an infection from the wood sliver puncture? With a finger injury such as you experienced, you might have at least taken restricted work, sorting mail, licking stamps, etc.?....to help out your employer and fellow workers with their workload.

3. How are you doing in your recovery?

In any event, glad you survived the ordeal. It could have been much, much worse! Take Oliver Cromwell's case for example:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Cromwell's_head

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Ben wrote:I'm glad the surgery went well, Cittasanto.
I hope I can keep you gainfully entertained with my manly adventures of my own, via facebook.
Getting chased by a swarm of bees while on a ride on mower (Benny Hill style), psychosis with chainsaw and dancing with deadly snakes.
Maybe i should get rid of this wimpy goatie and grow a handle-bar moustache!
Don't forget the mutton chops!

although it is starting to throb now!

John Stuart Mill
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Glad to know it went well, Cittasanto.

Best wishes :)
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

tiltbillings wrote:Blinding, inchoate pain. Through the nail, but totally missed the bone. That, I am guessing, would have rendered me unconscious. All better now.
My one nail-related experience occurred when I stepped on an upright nail - due to what I'm sure was the ripening of past kamma, the nail actually went in the space between my big toe and fourth toe, right up through the top of my shoe. I stayed there for a while, looking at the point sticking through my leather boots and wondering why I wasn't screaming.

Glad you're doin' better! That's a horrifyingly large splinter.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Yana

Post by Yana »

oh god..

i hope your on pain killers.. :( i'm glad it went well.just Be careful next time :cry: :hug:
Life is preparing for Death