Why is wrong wrong and right right?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ervin

Why is wrong wrong and right right?

Post by Ervin »

The truth as I see it is that the Infinite Good doesn't judge. However I do believe that there is good and evil.

What I mean is who is to say that evil is wrong to the infinite Good that you might believe somewhere somehow exists?

So who is the judge in deciding what's what according to your knowledge and or beliefs?

Thanks
equilibrium

Re: Why is wrong wrong and right right?

Post by equilibrium »

Do you mean the truth doesn't judge?
What is "infinite good"?.....this is subjective....no?

Good and evil / good and bad.....yes, these are your "believe".....again subjective.....imagination.
knowledge and beliefs are nothing but information.....again subjective.
according to your knowledge and or beliefs?
You really don't want to do that.
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Ambalatthika-rahulovada Sutta wrote:"Whenever you want to do a bodily action, you should reflect on it: 'This bodily action I want to do — would it lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Would it be an unskillful bodily action, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it would lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it would be an unskillful bodily action with painful consequences, painful results, then any bodily action of that sort is absolutely unfit for you to do. But if on reflection you know that it would not cause affliction... it would be a skillful bodily action with pleasant consequences, pleasant results, then any bodily action of that sort is fit for you to do.

"Whenever you want to do a verbal action, you should reflect on it: 'This verbal action I want to do — would it lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Would it be an unskillful verbal action, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it would lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it would be an unskillful verbal action with painful consequences, painful results, then any verbal action of that sort is absolutely unfit for you to do. But if on reflection you know that it would not cause affliction... it would be a skillful verbal action with pleasant consequences, pleasant results, then any verbal action of that sort is fit for you to do.

"Whenever you want to do a mental action, you should reflect on it: 'This mental action I want to do — would it lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Would it be an unskillful mental action, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it would lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it would be an unskillful mental action with painful consequences, painful results, then any mental action of that sort is absolutely unfit for you to do. But if on reflection you know that it would not cause affliction... it would be a skillful mental action with pleasant consequences, pleasant results, then any mental action of that sort is fit for you to do."
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

LonesomeYogurt's quote covers it nicely.

In short.... Affliction = wrong, and non-affliction = right.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
ground

Post by ground »

Wrong and right are relative, dependig on context and empirical. If X is desired and A is conducive to get X but B is hindering then A is right and B is wrong in this context of desiring X. :sage:
Ervin wrote:The truth as I see it is that the Infinite Good doesn't judge.
The truth may be that "Infinite Good" is just an idea but possibily cannot be found anywhere else but in mind as an idea.
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

What I am asking is if you believe there is infinite good wich would be infinitely gentle and fair wich I believe is the Source of everything that exists , wich is in your case according to your beliefs Budha. Now if Buddha is infinitely good wich wich means hem ( I imagine according to your beliefs Buddha wouldnt be him or her, so I say hem instead) would be infinitely good wich means infinitely gentle and fair, the how could hem say that there is such thing as wrong. I can imagine that there is good and evil, but to someone like what I believe is the Source or what you believe is Buddha can anything be wrong?

Thanks
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Ervin wrote:What I am asking is if you believe there is infinite good wich would be infinitely gentle and fair wich I believe is the Source of everything that exists , wich is in your case according to your beliefs Budha.
But that's not quite accurate. This word 'infinite' carries a lot of weight for you, but it's going in non-Buddhist directions.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Ervin wrote:What I am asking is if you believe there is infinite good wich would be infinitely gentle and fair wich I believe is the Source of everything that exists , wich is in your case according to your beliefs Budha.
Ervin, I don't mean to be discouraging, but I really really think you need to go back to the start and have a read of some basic books which may help clarify to you what Buddhists believe.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
dude

Post by dude »

Ervin wrote:What I am asking is if you believe there is infinite good wich would be infinitely gentle and fair wich I believe is the Source of everything that exists , wich is in your case according to your beliefs Budha. Now if Buddha is infinitely good wich wich means hem ( I imagine according to your beliefs Buddha wouldnt be him or her, so I say hem instead) would be infinitely good wich means infinitely gentle and fair, the how could hem say that there is such thing as wrong. I can imagine that there is good and evil, but to someone like what I believe is the Source or what you believe is Buddha can anything be wrong?

Thanks

What I am asking is if you believe there is infinite good wich would be infinitely gentle and fair wich I believe is the Source of everything that exists , wich is in your case according to your beliefs Budha

The Source is the Law, to which a Buddha is awakened. A Buddha is a living being awakened to the Law, not separate or in essential nature different from living beings in the other realms, such as the hell, human and animal realms. The Law is manifest and inherent in all things, but only a Buddha perceives it clearly without illusion.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Philosophers and scientists have been forever asking "Why are things the way they are and not some other way?"

My son when he was five years old would have answered, "Because!"

It's as good an answer as any. :sage:

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

its not about right and wrong, its about suffering.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
dude

Post by dude »

m0rl0ck wrote:its not about right and wrong, its about suffering.

Gassho. That is precisely correct.
"Good" is called good because it leads to reduction of suffering The greatest good leads to the end of all suffering.
Bad is bad because it leads to suffering.