Question about dementia

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
thansz

Question about dementia

Post by thansz »

Hello,

My understanding is that in Theravada buddhism, the mindset of a person passing away is very important in terms of conditioning the next form of existence. Can someone explain what the Therevadan viewpoint is for someone who passes away while suffering from dementia? If a person lived a good life for most of their years, but then had anxiety from dementia and pass away while experiencing anxiety, would that have a negative effect on their next existence?

My understanding is that in buddhism, the main form of kamma the Buddha focused on was that of volitional action. What I don't understand is how that relates to someone whose "volition" is greatly impaired by a disease like dementia.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Question about dementia

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

I would think that most dementia is caused by physical failure of the brain, not some kind of kammic destruction of the mind. So if one is not in control of their actions or otherwise capable, then it would be difficult to argue that they would suffer in the next life for it.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Venerable Mahanama had a similar concern and the Buddha gave him a wonderful instruction using the tree simile here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks for the link Santa!

:anjali:
Mike
santa100

Post by santa100 »

You're welcome Mike.. :group:
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

santa100 wrote:Venerable Mahanama had a similar concern and the Buddha gave him a wonderful instruction using the tree simile here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love it when a sutta is found that answers a question perfectly, fully, and briefly. Thank you!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
khlawng

Post by khlawng »

To OP,

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I am witnessing a number of my elder relatives going through dementia as we speak and it is really terrifying. Majority of them are over 70 and suffer from short-term memory loss. Commonly, they misplace things and end up accusing innocent people of stealing their belongings.

Of the 4 cases I know of, 2 of them weren't the most pleasant people pre-dementia and from my knowledge, is going through some tough times with their dementia e.g. little support from family. One elderly lady passed away a couple of years ago as a result of post-dementia parkinson and she spent some 10 years in a catatonic state before her heart stopped. The other secured her lonliness through her unresonable behaviour including accussing her care-taker of trying to seduce her husband (who by the way is no longer around).

The other 2 are older folks who in my opinion were generous and lived a morale life and is now being cared very well for by their family including one who has 3 children who are all medical doctors.

None however, are buddhist nor medidated in their lives. Having said that, I do know of one buddhist meditator who is currently going through a second childhood. But he seems to practise some form of off-brand meditation, dabbling in spirits, ghosts and what not. I am not trying to draw any conclusion. I am just sharing with you guys what I know base on my personal experience.

I did ask this question to a meditation teacher before and his response was that as it is right now, even without dementia, our minds are deluded by experiences generated through our sense bases. A well trained mind (will have a higher capacity to overcome delusions and dementia is just a disease that results in highten delusions. So I am guessing that as you progress in your practise and you happen to draw the demantia karma card somewhere down the line, one may be incapable of certain physical, bodily or mental functions but you will be able to keep calm regardless of whatever activity or inactivity that your sense bases is generating.

Having said that, the mere thought of going through some form of mental disease or dementia still terrifies me from time to time. This and given my family history, is why I am putting in extra effort in my training.
thansz

Post by thansz »

Thank you for the replies everyone. The sutta reference Santa provided was an especially great consolation. It's difficult to see a loved one who has been such a good person their entire life have everything change so quickly for them.
thansz

Post by thansz »

Many thanks for everyones replies. It's difficult to see a loved one who lived such a good life suddenly have everything change and to be so fearful and anxious.

The sutta reference Santa provided was a consolation.