Robes and Alms bowl

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
socoguy78

Robes and Alms bowl

Post by socoguy78 »

Dhamma Greetings,
Does anyone know where a person can buy buddhist robes, burmese prefered, and alms bowl on the internet? I can't seem to find a thread with this in it or any websites...
Much Metta,
Zach
Mr Man

Re: Robes and Alms bowl

Post by Mr Man »

Maybe you could ask this eBay seller: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Full- ... 3a78e61935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

socoguy78 wrote:Does anyone know where a person can buy buddhist robes, burmese prefered, and alms bowl on the internet? I can't seem to find a thread with this in it or any websites...
Why do you want them? I mean if you were ordaining or assisting somebody to ordain then the monastery will know how to source them.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
socoguy78

Post by socoguy78 »

Goofaholix wrote:
socoguy78 wrote:Does anyone know where a person can buy buddhist robes, burmese prefered, and alms bowl on the internet? I can't seem to find a thread with this in it or any websites...
Why do you want them? I mean if you were ordaining or assisting somebody to ordain then the monastery will know how to source them.
Dhamma Greetings!
I will answer your questions sense you replied to this thread with questions... :P I don't want the robes or alms bowl, I will need them for future ordinations, I have ordained before and donated the robes back to the monastery after the monastery provided them to me. Unfortunately I am a small guy about 5'2". The robes which the Monastery has are for taller people which they recieve by dana. The Monastery knows where to get them in asia but does not know how to get them in America. And I am wondering if anyone knows where to get an alms bowl as well from the internet.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I think the answer then is to get them sent from asia, 5' 2" is pretty average there and it will be cheaper than sourcing them from ebay i'd think.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
socoguy78

Post by socoguy78 »

Goofaholix wrote:I think the answer then is to get them sent from asia, 5' 2" is pretty average there and it will be cheaper than sourcing them from ebay i'd think.
Thank you Goofaholix,
That's the problem I run into... I can't find any website from asia to order from... not even on amazon... Maybe google just wants to give me search results for my area or for the usa...
Much metta!
Zach
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

The eBay seller is in Thailand and has good feedback. If you were to send them a message explaining what you want they may be able to source it for you.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

socoguy78 wrote:That's the problem I run into... I can't find any website from asia to order from... not even on amazon... Maybe google just wants to give me search results for my area or for the usa...
You said the monastery knows how to source them in asia, they will likely have contacts in Burma who should be able to arrange this. Normally there are a lot of people keen to donate monks robes and bowls, postage might be expensive for them but you might be able to find a way to reimburse them.
― Ajahn Chah
socoguy78

Post by socoguy78 »

Goofaholix wrote:
socoguy78 wrote:That's the problem I run into... I can't find any website from asia to order from... not even on amazon... Maybe google just wants to give me search results for my area or for the usa...
You said the monastery knows how to source them in asia, they will likely have contacts in Burma who should be able to arrange this. Normally there are a lot of people keen to donate monks robes and bowls, postage might be expensive for them but you might be able to find a way to reimburse them.
When the Abbot goes to Asia during our winter... he gets robes donated... But he is very tall so the robes are for very tall people. I didn't think about this but the Monastics that have gone for the winter that are there now I could e-mail! :clap:
Sadhu!
Zach
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Contact Jeff at Buddha for You in San Diego. He's an experienced practitioner, and has one of the best true Buddhist shops I've seen, and carries robes, bowls, statues, and many items from Asia. I feel confident he can source whatever you may need. http://buddha-for-you.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
socoguy78

Post by socoguy78 »

BuddhaSoup wrote:Contact Jeff at Buddha for You in San Diego. He's an experienced practitioner, and has one of the best true Buddhist shops I've seen, and carries robes, bowls, statues, and many items from Asia. I feel confident he can source whatever you may need. http://buddha-for-you.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome! Thank you very much I will give this site a look.
Much Metta,
Zach
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

you can also contact Sukhihotu from Malaysia ( PJ Branch)
http://www.sukhihotu.com/?page_id=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They stock robes, bowls, dhutanga tents, etc..
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

If you get a shiny new stainless steel bowl from www.tudong.com then you will need to fire it or "bake" it:

http://thebahiyablog.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -bowl.html

:candle:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations