Brainwashed into quitting

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

Brainwashed into quitting

Post by plwk »

A group of medical students from the Universiti Sains Malaysia, one of the biggest universities in Malaysia, has allegedly been brainwashed into leaving their studies by a Buddhist monk.
More here. Others: 1 2
James the Giant

Re: Brainwashed into quitting

Post by James the Giant »

I wish someone could wash my brain. It's pretty full of defilements, it could do with a good brain washing.
But seriously, those students definitely sound as if they were duped, brainwashed, or convinced by a pretty bad monk. That monk has plain old wrong view, plus an unfortunate power over young people. I hope they can get back to their studies.
It would be interesting to know who the monk was, and with what school/temple he is based.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
plwk

Post by plwk »

Me too but the news sources refuse to mention it. Maybe, I can try my connections... :tongue:
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

These students were led to believe that patients should not receive medical treatment for their condition as sickness is the result of their karma,” Chong said. “They are convinced that they should not become doctors as the act of treating patients will interfere with karma.
Are there really negative consequences of "interfering with karma"? It seems like such a strange concept in the first place. Are we not "interfering with karma" in everything that we do? What about alleviating the suffering of others? Does this monk suggest that we refrain from that?
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

If this actually happend and isnt just anti-buddhist rhetoric, this is a pretty dumb group of prospective medical students and being diverted from that course might have saved their possible future patients much pain and suffering.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What about quitting medical studies to become monks, so that you can learn the true Dhamma and do something to counter-act the bad kamma of those who are spreading wrong views in the name of Buddhism?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)