When do you believe or know that its ok to lie?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ervin

When do you believe or know that its ok to lie?

Post by Ervin »

When do you believe or know when its ok to break the precept of jot lying. I say know in case someone claims enlightenment since Buddhism is very well organised these days, the knowle is acsesible to veryone who is interested, therefore if Buddhist teachings are true there could be enlightened Buddhists on this forum.

Anyway, what about people break and entering illegally in some chicken farms and exposing the truth about chickens living in horrible conditions. If you are interested in information on animal cruelty you can google PETA, wich stands for: People For The Ethical Treatment Of Animals. That's form of a deception, the way they obtain evidence. What about an unercover police who with lies save people's lives? Like a policeman posing as a hitmen and ends up saving someone?

What about police integrity or the office of the police ombudsmen? They have to sometimes do undercover work in order to catch police who might be breaking the law themselves?

Thoughts
Ervin

Re: When do you believe or know that its ok to lie?

Post by Ervin »

By the way my answer is: It's always ok or right to lie, but its not always good. Wrong is nothing, everything is right but there is good and evil.

So the question should be: When is it good to lie?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ervin wrote:By the way my answer is: It's always ok or right to lie, but its not always good. Wrong is nothing, everything is right but there is good and evil.

So the question should be: When is it good to lie?
This doesn't make a great deal of sense, Ervin.
Perhaps you'd like to explain it.
Thanks

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

If its wrong to kill then how would you survive? Why is it ok or right to kill an animal for food but its not right to kill a human for food? Some people say that even plants feel pain because of their reactions to outside stimuli.

There is law of the land you live in and it doesn't and at this stage can't have in place a policy that protects health and safety of all living beings.

There fore there is no right or wrong in morality and ethics, but there is good and evil.

Evil action would be killing for o other reason but enjoyment for instance, but its not wrong. Are people fishing tor fun only doing evil. People who have no need for fishing. They actually spend lots of money on equipment and boats and what not.
How about people hunting for fun?

There are people who think there is nothing wrong with that. Others think that's as bad as murder. It all depends on whom you talk to and in wich era do you live

So called wrong constantly changes.

Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When you're tired and need a rest, its OK to lie. :zzz:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:When you're tired and need a rest, its OK to lie. :zzz:
Well said, sir

Regards
Please stop following me
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

:anjali: :anjali: :anjali:

to speak that which is not true? never, unless it is unwittingly done. i.e. when you do not know or accidentally say something incorrect.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

There's certainly no living the holy life for those who would tell a lie, even in jest.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
cooran

Post by cooran »

Good question, Ervin! I think using the term ''O.K.'' in the title of the thread can be confusing. Of course, we know that lying is a breach of the Precept and will have its kammic result. We know that we may lie in certain circumstances – e.g. to save our own life or the lives of our children. But it is never ''O.K.'' and will always have kammic consequences.

As well, lying is a slippery slope if done frequently. It leads to more lying and excuses to justify it.

There has been lots of previous discussion in this thread, which you may find useful.
Is it ever O.K. to lie?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=8273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

The disciple should associate with a wise friend,
who detects and censures one's faults,
and who points out virtues
as a guide tells of buried treasures.
There is happiness, not woe,
to one who associates with such an intelligent friend.

Dhammapada, VI, (76)
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
manas

Post by manas »

Cittasanto wrote:

to speak that which is not true? never, unless it is unwittingly done. i.e. when you do not know or accidentally say something incorrect.
Hi cittasanto,

I can think of a few other instances, for example if one's life or another's is at stake. I agree that lying is an awful practice, but if it could save a life, or save someone from torture, or some other horrible situation...in those particular instances, as a temporary measure, why not?

If some brutal government had high voltage wires strapped over sensitive parts of my body, and if lying could end the agony, I would lie - so long as my lying did not endanger the lives or wellbeing of others, that is. Otherwise, I hope I'd be able to endure it. But can you see my point? It's so easy, from our current state of comfort, to condemn all lying, in all circumstances...

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Hypothetical scenario:

A child is in a burning building with his mother and refuses to leave the building unless he knows his mother is safe. Is it OK to lie that the mother is already saved to get him to come out?

You are giving refuge to a family hiding from persecution. Some extremist comes asking if you know of any persons hiding in the area and a truthful answer would be disastrous for all concerned.

Since actions have consequences, perhaps the consequences of lying is preferable to the alternatives.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

Precepts is just a mindful guidance.
Basic Buddhism "Good action is the action that benefits one self and others".
I always squashed mosquito without feeling any remorse because it makes my life easier at the same time wishing the dead mosquito to take a better rebirth.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Barcsimalsi,
barcsimalsi wrote:Precepts is just a mindful guidance.
Basic Buddhism "Good action is the action that benefits one self and others".
I always squashed mosquito without feeling any remorse because it makes my life easier at the same time wishing the dead mosquito to take a better rebirth.
Is this the "self" and the "I" that the precepts, and other practices such as dana and reverence, help us to drop? :thinking:

:anjali:
Mike
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Cittasanto wrote:

lol, he meant lying down to get a nap

Regards
Please stop following me