Majjhima Nikaya Guide for an Old Man

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
daverupa

Re: Majjhima Nikaya Guide for an Old Man

Post by daverupa »

BlueLotus wrote:Reading the whole 3 pitaka is not my intentions. I feel it is too much.
Maybe I am mistaken.
:anjali:
Not mistaken at all - some can memorize the whole Tipitaka, while there is a case in the Suttas of a monk memorizing just a portion of the Sutta Nipata, which the Buddha lauded.

Practice with admirable friends, as well as in solitude, and even short texts will continue to teach you. Just don't make the mistake of framing your whole practice around one or two phrases.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Mal

Post by Mal »

BlueLotus wrote:Thank you friends.

I don't think i can read a lot of things. I just need basic guide like MN to get to know a bit more...
The MN is not "a basic guide". Why not start with the anthology mentioned above? Or something more basic, like Rahula "What the Buddha Taught"?
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Thank you. I have a very basic understanding I think. 4 noble truths etc.