Jataka tales

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DAWN

Jataka tales

Post by DAWN »

Hello all,

I would like to ask you, if there is one book with whool 547 Jataka tales?
Because i sirch in amazon, and for "The Jataka: Stories of Buddha's Former Birth" by E.B. Cowell, the commentaries said that its not a whool collection, that amazon tell us that in this book have 2000 pages, but in reality there is only 500 with 300 Jatakas...

So i dont know if i must belief, if it's truely whool collection, or not, if there is any whool collection etc :thinking:

Thanks you a lot!
:namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
BlueLotus

Re: Jataka tales

Post by BlueLotus »

I think there is. Not sure online.

are there 550 tales right?
Cittasanto

Re: Jataka tales

Post by Cittasanto »

I am not sure if there is one book, but The PTS does have a translated collection which may be more than one book?
the amount of Jataka stories are not known exactly (to my knowledge) the amount in the canonical book can be known, but there are others in other books and the canonical jatakas of the Chinese canon do have some differences in content.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill