Why consciousness is impermanent?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
vinasp

Re: Why consciousness is impermanent?

Post by vinasp »

Hi everyone,

I think that I have found the source of that quotation. It is from: What the Buddha
Taught, by Walpola Rahula.

"When the Aggregates arise, decay and die, O Bhikkhu, every moment you are born, decay
and die." (note 1) [from page 33.]

"Note 1. Prmj.I(PTS), p.78.'Khandhesu jayamanesu jiyamanesu miyamanesu ca khane khane
tvam bhikkhu jayase ca jiyase ca miyase ca.' This is quoted in the Paramatthajotika
Commentary as the Buddha's own words. So far I have not been able to trace this passage
back to its original text."

Regards, Vincent.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Because everything is impermanent.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Everything?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Every "Thing" :namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Every "Thing"? Really?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote:Every "Thing"? Really?
Hmmm :tongue:
Actuly all that arise is impermanent, all that constructed is imparmanent, so only tat is not arise, that is not construced is permanent.

But we see on this quastion on other side.
There is no one separate dhamma that is permanent
But all dhammas in their globality are permanent

One dhamma is impermanent
All dhammas is permanents

So actualy you are reason cause:
Every thing is impermanent
Everithnig is permanent

:clap: :namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Wellcome to the wheel of no end... maybe you will see an exit (if you wish of cause).
Just that! *smile*

DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote:Wellcome to the wheel of no end... maybe you will see an exit (if you wish of cause).
Indeed !

Dhamma of my personality, my ego will die with the body
Nature of this dhamma will remain with no begining and no end
To stop the kamma of the body, speach and tought i have to pultiply it by 0 each moment :shock:

:meditate:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

To doubt this is very importand to find the exit.
Last edited by Hanzze on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just that! *smile*

DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote:
To doubt this is very importand to find the exit.
It's true.

When you find exist in your own mind, you find the 0, so you know by what you have tu multiply all fenomenas
Until you have no find the zero, you still with the 1 of "self", so you multiply all fenomena by 1, and kamma continue.
When there is intention, you multiply : 1 x intention x dhamma = 99..999

:?
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Maybe you invest some time to investigate all the kinds of wrong views in the The All-embracing Net of Views a little.
Just that! *smile*

DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote:Maybe you invest some time to investigate all the kinds of wrong views in the The All-embracing Net of Views a little.
Thanks you, i will read it oday.

But which of similes (cause it's just a similes to explain) seems to you as wrong ? I will try to explain differently
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

Hanzze wrote:
equilibrium wrote:
whynotme wrote: Consciousness is impermanent because there is something called death
So if there is death.....and based on the teachings of the different planes of existence, your next life will be the results of this very life.....so how does death relate to this?

If there is death there should be no future life?...
"When the aggregates arise, decay and die, O bhikkhus, every moment you are born, decay and die"

So are you still dying or do you live already?
For those who know, it will be neither dying or alive!

Anyway, the point being made is this. When we say consciousness is impermanent, is this not the same as one saying life is impermanent?

Consciousness applies to every one of us, we all "know" it.....it is part of a human being.
When we say life is impermanent, we all "know" this too as we were born and we will live and die one day.

As consciousness is part of our life, our being, they are both impermanent.....even knowing this, right now, and based on the teaching of future lives, knowing that consciousness and life are both impermanent.....

The simple question is this:
Knowing they are both impermanent does not allow one to escape samsara does it?
Does Knowing they are both impermanent mean we will not be reborn again in other planes of existence?
Do we see the limitations of the OP?

More importantly, do we see a way out?
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Consciousness applies to every one of us, we all "know" it.....it is part of a human being.
I refuse this statement totaly. Consciousness is at least a concept and even on a level of awarness, there are less who know what consciousness is. As often stated by the Buddha, for the untrained consciousness is something that is not possible to understand.
Knowing they are both impermanent does not allow one to escape samsara does it?
That goes in direction: "Is there already faith in awakening?" If one would know, it would even no more a question as it would be already realiced.
Does Knowing they are both impermanent mean we will not be reborn again in other planes of existence?
If you really know (understand fully, have seen by our self), yes, no rebirth.
Do we see the limitations of the OP?
Where do you see a limitation in the OP?
More importantly, do we see a way out?
Do you see it(have already faith in it)?
Just that! *smile*

DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote: I refuse this statement totaly. Consciousness is at least a concept and even on a level of awarness, there are less who know what consciousness is. As often stated by the Buddha, for the untrained consciousness is something that is not possible to understand.
Hello Hanzze,

Why do you refuse that consciousness is a part of living beings?

Bhudda said it because the nature of consciousness cant be told like a silence, cant be paint like a canvas, cant be shown like a void, and so cant be thought or understud, because it's beyoud a noize, beyund color, beyound word,beyound form, beyound tought... Beyound all dhammas

Actualy consciousness is a part of all dhamma, even a stone.

Nature of dhammas
Dhammas
Consciousness
Anicca

Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...