How to stop internet addiction?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DAWN

Re: How to stop internet addiction?

Post by DAWN »

ground wrote: Distraction and seeking support for illusions generated by the felt self.
Yes i think is that.
Peoples like wery much when their concsiousness is absorbed. When the ground is flooded you cant see that is hidden underwater, so peoples prefere flood it, but by flooding it there is vawes that arise.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Digity

Post by Digity »

I've struggled with internet addiction...it doesn't help that I have an ipad and can search anything, anywhere. Although, my addiction has died down. I eventually just got bored of the constant searching for crap. I'm less of an addict now, but I do have my moments where I can spend two hours or more on the net.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

So you think that this bad influence, and reason of information addiction of peoples is in not taking what is not given?
No, not in that way, but it has always impact on the conscience and is in that way a hindrence to further development of insight.

Regarding Kamma, maybe you like to read the 10 reflections of a Samana, as you are somehow on the way to it, or like to go in that direction.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote:
Why internet have such bad influence on peoples?
Do you have any effidence that it has more bad then good influence? Some even let go of it, for some it would or is the highest gain.
Yes.
I post it in the first post.

Iam waiting with impatience when i will be able to let it go. Cause i feel that it flood my mind, and actualy, by creating this topic, i would like to know if there is some one else who feel it.
But, as i see, there is nobody who feel danger in internet and information addiction.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Digity wrote:I've struggled with internet addiction...it doesn't help that I have an ipad and can search anything, anywhere. Although, my addiction has died down. I eventually just got bored of the constant searching for crap. I'm less of an addict now, but I do have my moments where I can spend two hours or more on the net.
Oh yes me too... I'am tiried of all that information! I dont see any interest in it.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

DAWN wrote:But, as i see, there is nobody who feel danger in internet and information addiction.
I guess many know it, but addiction is addiction. So maybe you like to share how you did overcome it. Don't ask me how. Maybe limited on possibilities which are given after having mastered it so far?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote:
So you think that this bad influence, and reason of information addiction of peoples is in not taking what is not given?
No, not in that way, but it has always impact on the conscience and is in that way a hindrence to further development of insight.

Regarding Kamma, maybe you like to read the 10 reflections of a Samana, as you are somehow on the way to it, or like to go in that direction.
In which way? If you can explain :roll:

Thanks you alot alout this link :namaste: (more information !! more information!!! :woohoo: )
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote:
DAWN wrote:But, as i see, there is nobody who feel danger in internet and information addiction.
I guess many know it, but addiction is addiction. So maybe you like to share how you did overcome it. Don't ask me how. Maybe limited on possibilities which are given after having mastered it so far?
Once i tried to leave my pc in my parents house. But kilesas were strenght.
So i will try to do it little bit by little bit.

I dont fully understand your last words. :embarassed:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Accept/use only what is given is a good help. But also there one needs to be careful, mind is very tricky. Espesially the "comassionated" mind.

But as long as addicted, use it on the path. Better intention is always useful.
Just that! *smile*

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

DAWN wrote: Actualy not, cause i'am boxer. But others peoples, perharps; uses it like some kind of protection of their body, of their identity, of theis ego.
But even if i was no boxer, like i mentioned in the first post, in realy life i'am very peacefull, even vhen peoples are very aggresive with me.
Actualy is the cause of this topic.

I think you need to read what was said again.
here you are saying two contradictory things
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

Why does cars have such bad influence on people..

I'm sure this could be the start of a long list, and I can see one common property they share. The disconnection of some senses, when we meet another persons car, or another persons post on the internet. It is not the same as meeting face to face. Anonymity in lesser or more degree may contribute to such disconnection, more or less. So its not wrong to say we're pretty much left managing a driving car situation, surfing on net situation, compensation some sense loss with more use of our mind sense.

It is an guess, but it should not be to wrong to assume there is a lot of untamed minds out there... :jawdrop:

(that includes mine)