the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cittasanto

Re: Poll: Are you vegetarian/vegan?

Post by Cittasanto »

DAWN wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
DAWN wrote: Chocolate soymilk or vanilla soymilk is great !! :namaste:
I prefer rice milk!
but currently eating my mothers leftovers.
Indeed, i think that the reason of my preference to 'chocolate/vanillia soymilk' , is not 'soymilk', but 'chocolate/vanillia' :tongue: It's like a food name in thai restorants, whats determinate the name is not the principal ingredients, but sauce... ;)

I will try some chocolate ricemilk.. Thank you !
:namaste:
try plain, it is nice enough on its own
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
ananyaa

Re: Which diet are you?

Post by ananyaa »

I am currently a Lacto Ovo vegetarian. Can give up eggs, no worries there. Have also almost stopped drinking milk or eating foods rich in milk (most Indian sweets). I love a bit of milk in my tea / coffee although, and India does not have many dairy substitutes (or atleast not that I have found in Mumbai). If one gives me a good dairy whitener that is vegan, I am more than happy to let go of milk too :)
Maarten

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by Maarten »

I'm on a strict vegetarian diet. I only eat vegetarians! :P
'Suppose there were a beetle, a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of him. He, because of that, would look down on other beetles: 'Yes, sirree! I am a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of me!' - SN 17.5
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

As long as you do not kill them or cause them to be killed... But to do not cause such conjecture the Buddha told his disiples to abstain from that if they are humans. But it should be not probelm to eat given vegetarians beside humans.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Maarten wrote:I'm on a strict vegetarian diet. I only eat vegetarians! :P
Haha I had a good older friend who always said that if the apocalypse came, he would eat me first because I wasn't filled with all the hormones and additives you find in meat. So I guess you better be careful :)
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hanzze wrote:As long as you do not kill them or cause them to be killed... But to do not cause such conjecture the Buddha told his disiples to abstain from that if they are humans. But it should be not probelm to eat given vegetarians beside humans.
So the Buddha actually forbade cannibalism? :o Then it would seem there were canibals during the Buddhas time, which to me is always shocking to hear.

In all seriousness, I voted vegetarian, although I'm considering eating meat again.
'Suppose there were a beetle, a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of him. He, because of that, would look down on other beetles: 'Yes, sirree! I am a dung-eater, full of dung, gorged with dung, with a huge pile of dung in front of me!' - SN 17.5
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:
Haha I had a good older friend who always said that if the apocalypse came, he would eat me first because I wasn't filled with all the hormones and additives you find in meat. So I guess you better be careful :)
It does sound more tasty! :D
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

what about vegan & part time vegetarians?
LOL
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Maarten wrote:
Hanzze wrote:As long as you do not kill them or cause them to be killed... But to do not cause such conjecture the Buddha told his disiples to abstain from that if they are humans. But it should be not probelm to eat given vegetarians beside humans.
So the Buddha actually forbade cannibalism? :o Then it would seem there were canibals during the Buddhas time, which to me is always shocking to hear.

In all seriousness, I voted vegetarian, although I'm considering eating meat again.
Yes he forbade as well as the meat of some other predator. Exept of it, everything is fine if death (without live), given and not taken.
I am not sure what is meant by cannibalism. Is it a matter of killing or just eating. I am not sure if the eating of human flesh beside of the brodly generated perception of aversion would be that unwholesome. I guess such things as vegetarianism for example have much to do with identification rather then with intention. The perception of eat death things sometimes produces some kind of disgust and fear.

Such things as cannibalism are told to exist even today (there are many stories from Thailand for example), the sacrify of human decay just about 150 years in south east asia as I read in a scholar history book.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Cittasanto wrote:
what about vegan & part time vegetarians?
LOL
Vegan never sounded very tasty to me, part time vegetarians can be partially eaten. :P
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Which particle are allowed or just particles?

Back to human. Maybe its from interesst for the vegetarian worriers and vegan worriers. In the commentary of Buddhist Monastic Code of Bhikkhu Thanisarro is written:

"Human beings, horses, and elephants were regarded as too noble to be used as food."
Just that! *smile*

DAWN

Post by DAWN »

My mother become vegan like me... it's great :woohoo:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Did you tell her that you would ordinate if she would not do so? :tongue:
Just that! *smile*

DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hanzze wrote:Did you tell her that you would ordinate if she would not do so? :tongue:
No :tongue:

Actualy she saw that i loose a lot of weight with my one meal vegan diet (1 kg per mounth, now the weight become stable, with 1m83cm my weight is 67kg), so she take a decision to loose some weight too, with this kind of diet :stirthepot: Motivation is not perfect, but anyway is good :roll: I'am proud :namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Ryuejaku

Post by Ryuejaku »

Vegetarian in reference to not eating meat/sentient beings.

IMPOSSIBLE on Earth.

1. you accidentally eat insects while you sleep
2. im ~85% confident to say all Vegetable products have a government regulation for maximum amount of insects that can be inside food products such as peanut butter, bread etc. ( reason its not 100% is im not gonna research every single product )

Accidental or purposely it does not matter. but eating only vegetable products you can still basically be ~75-95% vegetarian. So in regards to 75-95% vegetarian Id yes yes very possible.

on another note, Black Beans is gr8 for protein for vegans ( one of few plants that is a complete protein. )
50-70 more not bad in no rush