View active topics

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Buckwheat

View active topics

Post by Buckwheat »

Hi,
I love the "View active topics" button at the top of the "Board Index". Is it possible to make that stay at the top when I go to other pages within the forum? Not a bit deal, but it would save me one click and a little load time each time I go "Board Index" > "View active topics".
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
retrofuturist

Re: View active topics

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Buckwheat,

It's not a configurable parameter within the board software, so probably not.

The best "workaround' I've come up with is to bookmark the Active Topics view, so it's always just one click away (i.e. a browser based solution, rather than a site-specific solution).

:ugeek:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Buckwheat,

The best "workaround' I've come up with is to bookmark the Active Topics view, so it's always just one click away (i.e. a browser based solution, rather than a site-specific solution).

:ugeek:

Metta,
Retro. :)
That's exactly what I did, a few days after joining, and it works fine. I hardly ever visit the Board Index.

:coffee:
Kim
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

Buckwheat wrote:Hi,
I love the "View active topics" button at the top of the "Board Index". Is it possible to make that stay at the top when I go to other pages within the forum? Not a bit deal, but it would save me one click and a little load time each time I go "Board Index" > "View active topics".
I use "tabs" in my browser. What I do is open "view new posts", which gives me a list on topics, that have changed since my last visit. I then browse the list and click "open link in new tab" (center-mouse-button in my browser/configuration).

When finished browsing the list, I have all the topics, that I want to check, in each tab. Read the story, and close the tab...

The same could be done on the "active topics", but with "view new posts" you get a shorter list, limited to topics I haven't had interest in.

Hope it is useful,
_/\_
Doshin
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Hmm, I never use that view. Maybe I should :thinking:

Maybe it is possible to load some javascript into the page that inserts the link on every page without actually changing phpBB itself?
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Buckwheat,

Ok, then. Thank you for your response.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Adrien

Post by Adrien »

I also use this feature, but I'd much rather use a "unread messages" button, as we can find in several forums. The problem with "view active topics", is that if I login, read a few messages and then log out, the next time I login, most of the posts won't appear anymore in "view active topics", and I could miss interesting things. The way I'm dealing with this right now, is by only login when I have a lot of time to check out all the unread subjects to read the ones that interest me.
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Adrien,

The behaviour you describe seems different from how it is supposed to work. For me, "view active topics" lists all topics with new posts in the past seven days, whether I've read them or not.

:anjali:
Mike
Adrien

Post by Adrien »

My mistake : as I bookmarked it, I didn't know exactly which one I was using. I was actually speaking about the "view new posts" button, which show you all the new posts since your last visit.
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to