Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
daverupa

Saṅkhāra rendered as

Post by daverupa »

:thinking:

saṅkhāra --> "compile"

:shrug:

:coffee:

Stressing com-PILE tends to be the verb form, while stressing COM-pile indicates the noun. The word is also directly related in its two aspects, com/san (together) and pile/khara (build).
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tiltbillings

Re: Saṅkhāra rendered as

Post by tiltbillings »

"Saṅkhāra rendered as" depends upon the context.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Well, this is true of course. But native speakers of the language used one word, so a proper understanding of contextual differences notwithstanding, I sought one word in English to stand for the appropriate denotative-connotative realm.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I think rendering it as "compile" is as neat and elegant as it is possible to get, but misses an aspect which will be important to some readers. This is the use of Sankhara as "determinant", or "necessary condition" which Nanavira outlines in "A note on Paticcasamuppada". That from which some other thing cannot be separated, etc.

The term "compile" would need to be more active in its noun form ("COMpile") in order to accommodate this, I think.