Head scarves

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Leon-nl

Head scarves

Post by Leon-nl »

In many countries, head scarves (mainly islamic) are a big issue. My opinion is, that at home and in the street, everybody should wear what he/she wants, but public services should be free of any religious symbols. I wonder if anyone has an idea, what the Buddha would have said about this issue? Do we have texts that can shine a light on this issue?
“Look on the world as empty, Mogharāja, being always mindful.
Having removed wrong view of self, in this way one will cross beyond Death.
When looking on the world in this way the king of Death does not see one.” - Sn 5.15
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Head scarves

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Buddhists are not required to wear any form of identifying clothing (unless they're monks, of course), but I don't think that the Buddha would have looked down on such practices or declared them to be unwholesome.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The Buddhist teachings are flexible and allow any type of clothing for whatever is pertinent to the specific culture. Lay people are often described as "clothed in white" as opposed to the brighter colors of the monastics.

There is actually one mention of head scarves in the Suttas. The brahmin lady Verahaccaani invites Ven. Udaayii to a meal. She was wearing sandals and covering her head and asked Ven. Udaayii to instruct her in Dhamma. He refused since she was wearing sandals and covering her head. The next day she prepares him a meal and uncovers her head and this time Ven. Udaayii instructs her in the Dhamma.
(SN 35.133)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .wlsh.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently at this time period on the Indian sub-continent, it was considered disrespectful to cover your head around others, especially teachers.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I wouldn't have a problem with it if men of the same religion were also required to cover their heads to the same degree, because only women are required to do so it's an oppression of women issue.

I don't think the Buddha would have found that wholesome.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Thinking on how he took care to protect woman form his disiples which are not free of greed, I would not think that he would have seen such things as unwholesome.

I guess it is more that modern man does not like apparence of virtue and moral protection as well as modern men often does not understand how defilments are acting if there is a good soil for ripping. Wired world today.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

David N. Snyder wrote:Apparently at this time period on the Indian sub-continent, it was considered disrespectful to cover your head around others, especially teachers.
I guess that might mis that at this time there have been less woman being disiples. I would wonder if woman generally haven't covered as most as possible as well as it has been seen as a sign of respect.

To cover ones head is still a sign of disrespect all over the world in sphares of virtue people but it is still a thing that touches more the male side. Such things as a hat have differing meanings (actually mostly a sign to lift one self) to something that is a cover to cause no shame.

Among monks of "old school" it is still usuall to cover the lower part of the face with parts of the robe while speaking with somebody for example.

The rules not to teach somebody Dhamma if wearing a hat/turban or having covered the head (face?) has to do with the need of lowering one self before being able to get the Dhamma not as an additional weapon and should saveguard the respect regarding Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha. One might also see clearly to whom one is teaching.

Approaching a Bhikkhu and cover what ever can cause shame seems to me rather an very wholesome and respectful act. Cover on self in public to cause no shame is how ever a virtuose act, even today the tendency is very contrary.

How ever, enforced vitures are not conducive as well as inspirations of letting go of cultural heritage and virtue, especial if one is not aware of common defilments of "different" people.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

David N. Snyder wrote:Apparently at this time period on the Indian sub-continent, it was considered disrespectful to cover your head around others, especially teachers.
I understand this (from the rules of training) to be about humbling oneself to the Dhamma. remember the young novice sitting on King Asokas thrown to teach the Dhamma?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill