reflection on death to fight dullness and drowsiness

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
purple planet

reflection on death to fight dullness and drowsiness

Post by purple planet »

Because reading "the noble wight fold path- The Way to the End of Suffering by Bhikkhu Bodhi"
link : http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... tml#fnt-44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read this part about deaking with drowsiness :
The dispelling of dullness and drowsiness calls for a special effort to arouse energy, for which several methods are suggested: the visualization of a brilliant ball of light, getting up and doing a period of brisk walking meditation, reflection on death, or simply making a firm determination to continue striving.
So i would like to know how reflection on death can help drowsiness ? and how to do it ?

and a mini question - where should i visualize the brilliant ball of light in my body or outside ? should i visualize it is warm also?
bodom

Re: reflection on death to fight dullness and drowsiness

Post by bodom »

So i would like to know how reflection on death can help drowsiness ?

Contemplating death rouses a sense of urgency to attain nibbana before its to late. Life is short and can end at any given moment.
and how to do it?
See these suttas for starters:

Maranassati Sutta: Mindfulness of Death (1)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maranassati Sutta: Mindfulness of Death (2)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

purple planet wrote: So i would like to know how reflection on death can help drowsiness ? and how to do it ?
I think this reflection in beneficial with drowsiness, because the one can understand that this life is precious and fragile, and he cant spend it for sleeping, because if he dont will liberated because he sleep a lot, this sleeping is like death for him.
purple planet wrote:and a mini question - where should i visualize the brilliant ball of light in my body or outside ? should i visualize it is warm also?
In front of eyes, to brings some light to the consciousness. Also i think that temperature have not any impact, becausethis light is out of you.

PS Personaly i use some water. Just one sip of fresh water.
When i dont have a water i concentrate my mind on his own light, the "unsurpassed light".
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Thank you both

I got my full answers and in no time :jumping:
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

A short story with might make the issue a little more vividly: Ajahn Chah – In the Dead of Night
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_