Why getting up in the mornig? What for?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Gaoxing

Re: Why getting up in the mornig? What for?

Post by Gaoxing »

Annapurna wrote:I don't understand. Could you please explain how Vipassana gets my customers served and my bank account filled?

Thank you.
Sure you don't understand. Do you even know the meaning of the word? Sorry for going over your head with that one but we are trying to discuss Buddhism.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

I guess Annapurna just tried to say that lazyness is not the message of praxticing. Many people have the believe that it is easy doing the homeless life with less responsibilities accept the responsibility to defeat ones own defiments.

That is acctually much more work and needs much more discipline as other work, which is at least nothing but running away from the real duties.

So "Why getting up in the mornig? What for?" can be answered maybe in: 1. to defend your unwholesome habits, 2. to train your mind not to run after your present feelings 3. to be as long as possible aware of what you are doing (sleeping a short time and even only once a day is maybe more importand) Practical maybe: to find a reason why to abstain from unwholesome actions till late in the morning; not wasting energy if one can use daylight; don't miss a single moment of another wonderful day.

Some good advices (especiall for layman) are found in the Sigalovada Sutta which might be the reason why one thinks that he needs to sleep long:
(b) "There are, young householder, these six evil consequences in sauntering in streets at unseemly hours:

(i) he himself is unprotected and unguarded,
(ii) his wife and children are unprotected and unguarded,
(iii) his property is unprotected and unguarded,
(iv) he is suspected of evil deeds,[3]
(v) he is subject to false rumours,
(vi) he meets with many troubles.

(f) "There are, young householder, these six evil consequences in being addicted to idleness:

"He does no work, saying:
(i) that it is extremely cold,
(ii) that it is extremely hot,
(iii) that it is too late in the evening,
(iv) that it is too early in the morning,
(v) that he is extremely hungry,
(vi) that he is too full.

"Living in this way, he leaves many duties undone, new wealth he does not get, and wealth he has acquired dwindles away."
I guess the whole sutta is worthy a read and a pound of good advices for everybody. Wether he for this existence, the next or even to get out of the circle.

What wakefulness for a Monk means is listed in the Nanda Sutta: About Nanda
"This is Nanda's devotion to wakefulness: There is the case where Nanda during the day, sitting & pacing back & forth, cleanses his mind of any qualities that would hold the mind in check. During the first watch of the night,[1] sitting & pacing back & forth, he cleanses his mind of any qualities that would hold the mind in check. During the second watch of the night,[2] reclining on his right side, he takes up the lion's posture, one foot placed on top of the other, mindful, alert, with his mind set on getting up.[3] During the last watch of the night,[4] sitting & pacing back & forth, he cleanses his mind of any qualities that would hold the mind in check. This is Nanda's devotion to wakefulness.

1. First watch: dusk to 10 p.m.
2. Second watch: 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
3. I.e., either as soon as he awakens or at a particular time.
4. Last watch: 2 a.m. to dawn.
I would not recommend this for people full involved in worldly business, even if one is handling much responsibility like a driver or working on or with heavy equipment. 6 h of sleep are good and in the summertime one would be able to enjoy the whole day, if this 6 h are not just placed in the afternoon to get fit for the next events.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Gaoxing

Post by Gaoxing »

Sounds like a lot of Atta.

:zzz:
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Well, I guess we are all here for awakening, somethimes a pinguine helps, sometimes not. Who like to continue to sleep if not an atta?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Most difficult is the firts meters, between bad and shower :toilet:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Gaoxing

Post by Gaoxing »

Hanzze wrote:Well, I guess we are all here for awakening, somethimes a pinguine helps, sometimes not. Who like to continue to sleep if not an atta?
Atta= :zzz:
Anatta= :hello:
ohnofabrications

Post by ohnofabrications »

Hi, you raise a great question as long as you are willing to answer it deeply rather than what some people do - committing physical suicide (doesn't answer it) and what other people do (superficially and intellectually analyze it.)

Are you really capable of lying in bed all day? Just doing that? Nothing else? No intending? No expecting? No resisting? No assuming? No physical moving? No labeling? No comparing?

The fact is, as a separate subject as a self, there is no reason for you to do any of those things, you are right! As a self you feel yourself to be evaluating and acting on those evaluations, but those evaluations are fabricated no? They are meaningless. So truly try laying in bed, truly stop intending, die before you die as Ajahn Chah has said.

Once you die in this sense, once you drop the last five fetters and are no longer I-making, then your actions are simple cause and effect, suffering (physical or mental) is seen somewhere in the aggregates of either yourself and others, and the aggregates are galvanized to act automatically. You even experience this now - say there is an itch, you often don't even notice the scratching of it, there is no deep philosophical confusion.

Please, attempt to die before you die, lay in bed or sit on a cushion and just stop. Report back on what happens, hopefully you will be an arahant when you do. If not, don't worry - practice makes perfect.
reflection

Post by reflection »

To put a smile on your face and that of others.