Theravada

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Sutiro

Theravada

Post by Sutiro »

I think 'Theravada' actually means "word of the Elders' which can be stretched to mean 'doctrine of the elders'. It pays tribute to those bhikkhus who have been ordained the longest regardless of their actual age, whose words are most learned and wise:)
tiltbillings

Re: Theravada

Post by tiltbillings »

Sutiro wrote:I think 'Theravada' actually means "word of the Elders' which can be stretched to mean 'doctrine of the elders'. It pays tribute to those bhikkhus who have been ordained the longest regardless of their actual age, whose words are most learned and wise:)
Theravāda. Vada, speaking, and vāda are to different words derived from the same roots, vac/vad. The "stretching," making vāda -- doctrine --, was done well before thera -- elder -- was put together with vāda.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sutiro

Post by Sutiro »

I guess, then, that you are agreeing with me???
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sutiro wrote:I guess, then, that you are agreeing with me???
Clarifying the terminology. Vāda in Theravāda means doctrine or school.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

This might be useful to read:

http://www.cittaviveka.org/index.php/te ... -theravada" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:reading:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

gavesako wrote:This might be useful to read:

http://www.cittaviveka.org/index.php/te ... -theravada" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A very nicely designed and informative site. Kudos to the webmaster and any-&-all involved!
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead