Why getting up in the mornig? What for?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cupertino77

Post by cupertino77 »

I have read books (i.e. their talks) by Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho. I like a lot of what is being said there. I am looking for some feedback on one question. Let's assume a certain level of awareness is being established. It allows to be liberated (or at least get an idea of it). What I have not been able to understand is why bother at all. Why get up in the morning? What for?
Thanks,
Lorenz
perkele

Re: Why getting up in the mornig? What for?

Post by perkele »

Because it's uncomfortable to lie around like a dead corpse all day, although you are still alive.
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Yeah, your back would probably hurt after a while.

But I don't quite get the question - enlightenment or otherwise drastic spiritual progress does not make one lethargic or apathetic. It just makes one aware.

Why stay in bed? Why get up? Why do anything? Probably, in the Buddha's case, due to his great compassion and joy.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
cupertino77

Post by cupertino77 »

Often a nihilistic view is still present when I deal with things. Reading Ajahn Chah's teaching and trying to be aware has moved this attitude to a more neutral view - but it is certainly not close to compassion or joy.
Why taking on the next project or task (no self, impermanence)? Just to busy myself because I am still alive? Awareness can create boredom with things.
Any thoughts?
David2

Post by David2 »

To end suffering, dukkha. To practice properly which results in the end of suffering.
Diligence in practice is very important in the Buddha's teaching.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

cupertino77 wrote:Often a nihilistic view is still present when I deal with things. Reading Ajahn Chah's teaching and trying to be aware has moved this attitude to a more neutral view - but it is certainly not close to compassion or joy.
Why taking on the next project or task (no self, impermanence)? Just to busy myself because I am still alive? Awareness can create boredom with things.
Any thoughts?
The next project or task is already under way, whether you like it or not. The hope is that by getting up, paying attention to it, and learning how it works, you can avoid the suffering inherent in it. Take it on as an alternative to it taking you on!
Birgit

Post by Birgit »

Getting up in the morning to join other people, to join your family, your friends, society, to talk with them about the Dhamma and the Buddhas teachings among other things (perhaps you can influence the direction impermanence is developing to) and then practising meditation to end suffering and leading others to this peaceful way of living!
You, just as you are, can meet life on its own terms, taking delight in that which is enjoyable without clinging to it while also living with what is difficult and unpleasant without contracting into resistance to it. To dance with life is to meet life on its terms to be at ease, even enjoy the ever-changing interplay without clinging. Philip Moffit: Dancing with Life page 91/92
manas

Post by manas »

Hi cupertino77

I try to see it that even lying down and doing nothing is an active choice on our part. And, from moment to moment as we live out our lives, however short or long they be, every choice we make is like a seed we are planting, a tendency we are strengthening just by exercising it. So I am trying to remember to plant good seeds rather than bad ones, to little by little exercise wholesome, positive qualities rather than defiled ones, because every little action we do has an effect, either now, or later on at some stage.

I'm far from perfect in fully practicing this, but I am aware of it, and it keeps me from doing too much harm. Even if it just helps keep me out of hell it will have proven it's worth.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Gaoxing

Post by Gaoxing »

cupertino77 wrote:I have read books (i.e. their talks) by Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho. I like a lot of what is being said there. I am looking for some feedback on one question. Let's assume a certain level of awareness is being established. It allows to be liberated (or at least get an idea of it). What I have not been able to understand is why bother at all. Why get up in the morning? What for?
Thanks,
Lorenz
When the day starts with Voidness (Sunatta), WHAT A JOY!

It's a good thing to Not get up. Letting go of the 'Self' is one of the hardest things to accomplish. Fortunately the realisation will come that things happen anyway.

Don't suite yourself just let go and let live.

Please see the very top of page 6 in this piece;
http://das-buddhistische-haus.de/pages/ ... ebirth.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Gaoxing on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaoxing

Post by Gaoxing »

Sorry the post went through twice. Please see above.
Last edited by Gaoxing on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Because your mind is clear and smooth
I am getting up at 3am, and it's my favorite moment in the 'day', when whole town sleeps, when there is calm. when there is silence... it's the most peacefull moment... very free... i dont know how explain that.... :roll:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

cupertino77 wrote:I have read books (i.e. their talks) by Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho. I like a lot of what is being said there. I am looking for some feedback on one question. Let's assume a certain level of awareness is being established. It allows to be liberated (or at least get an idea of it). What I have not been able to understand is why bother at all. Why get up in the morning? What for?
Thanks,
Lorenz
Cupertino,

1. The Buddha recommended to keep this body in good shape, so it won't get in the way of practice, with illnesses that require attention.

And the body will get damaged when we lie around all day. The heart muscle and body muscles would quickly get atrophic and soon render us unable to get up!
After only 3 days of lying around the heart muscle already gets smaller and makes it harder to breathe, while up!

2. The Buddha also warned of laziness, f.i in "medium kilesa". the 5 defilements.

3. No work-no food.

Who would feed all those people lying around?

Even monks have to get up and keep their place clean and walk to receive dona and teach the Dhamma.

How would all this get done, if they wouldn't get up...?
How would not ordained people get their income...?
Who would feed the monks, if they didn't get up?

?

Happy getting up! ;)
Gaoxing

Post by Gaoxing »

How would all this get done, if they wouldn't get up...?
How would not ordained people get their income...?
Who would feed the monks, if they didn't get up?
With a touch of some old Vipassana. As easy as that. :clap:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I don't understand. Could you please explain how Vipassana gets my customers served and my bank account filled?

Thank you.
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

Thanks,
Lorenz
Because you have no idea what the path leads to in the end!