the great Nibbana = annihilation, eternal, or something else thread

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SDC

Re: Nibbana = universal consciousness?

Post by SDC »

pegembara wrote:
Suffering, according to Buddhism, is 'existence' itself. Where ever there is 'existence', there is also birth and death! Birth and death are two ends of the same stick, 'existence'. Therefore, 'eternal existence' is impossible. We cannot remove 'death' and have 'existence' only.

To be free of 'death' we have to be free of, existence also. But to be free of 'existence' is not to stop existing. To be free of existence we have to realise that existence, is only an experience, not a reality. If existence, is not a reality, then death is also not a reality.By 'experiencing' the 'experience' of existence, we gain freedom of existence, 'birth' and 'death'. This is Nibbana the cessation of suffering.

Therefore, 'pre-existence' and 're-existence', from the Buddhist perspective, is an 'experience', an empirical fact, but it is not a reality. To cling to the concept of 'existence' 'pre-existence' or 'reexistence' is to suffer. To be free of death and suffering, we have to experience the experience of 'existence' and 'death' and see it as only an experience'.

Punnaji
Nice.

pegembara, what is the source of this? Is it from a lecture or one of his papers?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Way~Farer

Post by Way~Farer »

When you have investigated in this way until you have it thoroughly mastered, what happens next is what comes of its own accord. The mind is bound to converge in a big way; and the instant it converges, everything will appear to converge, being one and the same. The entire world will be nothing but elements.
How is this not the same as materialism?
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

With thy perfect intelligence and compassion
Which are beyond all limit,
Thou comprehends the egolessness of things and persons,
And, art free and clear from the hindrances of passion and egoism.
Thou do not vanish into Nirvana,
Nor does Nirvana abide in thee,
For Nirvana transcends all duality of knowing and known,
Of being and non-being.
Those who see thee thus,
Serene and beyond conceptions,
Will be emancipated from attachment,
Will be cleansed of all defilement,
Both in this world and in the spiritual world beyond.
In this world, whose nature is like a dream,
there is a place for praise and blame;
But, in the ultimate Reality of the Dharmakaya,
Which is far beyond the senses and the discriminating mind,
What is there to praise?
O Thou Most Wise!

- Lankavatara Sutra
The Gnostic Society
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

sunyavadin wrote:
When you have investigated in this way until you have it thoroughly mastered, what happens next is what comes of its own accord. The mind is bound to converge in a big way; and the instant it converges, everything will appear to converge, being one and the same. The entire world will be nothing but elements.
How is this not the same as materialism?
It's not materialism, because with investigating that way, your mind first off will become very stillness, and if you will continue to investigate like this, your mind fill become very focused, and if all is good, one experiance will take place in you.
It's sure that the door that takes this way meditator is the body, something material, but the important point of this practice is mind, is concentration and awereness. So it's one very classic way, awereness and concentration that you must practice all day every day.

The most important point in this, is to turn your mind to liberation, like a boath in the middle of water must be turned to the beach all time, and so mind must be turned to liberation all the time. And if the mind have a right dirrection, you must just spread the sail of awereness on the mast of concentration, and the wind of kamma will do his job, so by awereness and concentration in all fenomena that you experiance in your daily life, after some period of right practice and right direction, you will step on something stable, save, a shelter of your mind, beyond the water, like a seilor who was burn a middle of ocean will steps on the beach...

So Ajahn Mun, just take his body like a support of his awereness and concentration, like we can take our daily life, or avery else. It's not much important, because truth is Truth, and this Truth is every where, in every dhamma you have all the Dhamma. We have all our life to choise our support of practice awereness and concentration, it's may be some thing material or not, something here or very far, it's not depends of that, it's depend of nothing, because is the thurth of freedom
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Way~Farer

Post by Way~Farer »

Thanks, Dawn. :anjali:
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

With pleasure :anjali:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Scott1989

Post by Scott1989 »

The Buddha would probably say that none of this is relevant. Trying to describe your true nature is identifying with an object (you feel that you are the one describing the thing that cannot be described instead of being the 'thing' that cannot be described) and stands in the way of liberation.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

It's true..
If we wanna talk about The Dhamma, we shuld stay silent
So we can talk just about The Path

Anyway, we know that every living being seek for 3 things :
- Liberty (peoples want to be rich, and powerfull to have and do every that they want)
- Stability/Savety (peoples want to have good friends, good family, good job, to fill him self in security)
- Peace (peoples don't want to be disturbed, they want some calm, to be in peace)

and the same seeking for the animals, and I am sure for the rest of living creatures to.

The problem is that all this qualities are seeked in phenomenal world, that havn't Liberty, havn't Stability and havn't Peace.

Every living being are seeking for Nibbana,
inconciuosly they are all buddhists,
but who dont met The Dhamma

So I would like just to say that anyway we will stay on the Path, but one day, when we will wake up under a tree, where we spend our night, we must to be awere to be able to understand if before to go sleep we went from left to the right, or from right to the left, and to understand that we must be awere about the leaf of the tree, to be concentrate on dhammas, for understand where the wind lead us, where he lead everybody... But in this world, in society, we have a lot of turbulances that can deceive us, so a wise one go forth, out of the zone of turbulance, now he can take his Path, now he can direct his boath on the beach, without worring about a storm, without worring to break his mast of believe, the wise one will reach the ground in this very life.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
PeterHarvey

Post by PeterHarvey »

Sylvester wrote:
kirk5a wrote:
suttametta wrote:Malcolm turned me on to Peter Harvey's "The Selfless Mind." It is an excellent treatment of just these issues.
I'm not familiar with that work, but by sheer coincidence I just happened to run across Bhikkhu Bodhi's reference to it, in note 314 to SN 4.23.
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote: When the monk is said to attain final Nibbana with consciousness unestablished, this should not be understood to mean that after death consciousness survives in an "unestablished" condition (a thesis argued by Harvey, The Selfless Mind, pp. 208-210); for enough texts make it plain that with the passing away of the arahant consciousness too ceases and no longer exists (see, e.g., 12:51).
SN 12.51 wrote: "When there is utterly no consciousness, with the cessation of consciousness, would name-and-form be discerned?"
"No, venerable sir."
That's a very good observation. I'm happy to report (from hearsay of course) that Prof Harvey has since changed his mind considerably on the subject. I heard from my teacher that Prof Harvey is hoping to rework some of his earlier works, which he admits had been influenced too much by Ven T's "not-self" strategy.

:anjali:
This is news to me :-)
Peter Harvey
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Dear Prof Harvey

Pls accept my apologies for any distress that my misreporting may have caused you.

:anjali:
xabir

Post by xabir »

Ñāṇa wrote:
suttametta wrote:Again, we can go into these issues if you like.
I've already pointed out to you where you are mistaken on a number of issues. Malcolm has patiently done so with regard to many issues. Yet you persist with your wild interpretations of the Budhadhamma.
suttametta wrote:Whereas, the Pali teachings about sati are uniquely different as to methodology, although not as different as one might think as to result, given the Buddha's statements about nibbana being an eternal radiant consciousness.
Given your penchant for reading Vedic views into the dhamma there's probably very little point in trying to clarify this issue. But here are a couple of contemporary Theravāda authors who refute your ideas about consciousness and nibbāna:

Nibbana is not Viññāṇa. Really, it just isn’t by Ven Sujato.

The Mind Stilled: 33 Sermons on Nibbāna by Ven. Ñāṇananda.
suttametta wrote:You are impugning my knowledge.
I reject your interpretation and understanding of the Theravāda and the Mahāyāna. It's really that simple.
Hi Geoff,

As I have learnt, there are a few interpretations of viññāṇāṁ anidassanaṁ. Some people interprete this in terms of eternalism - not unlike the Hindus that posit an unchanging consciousness which is the basis of their moksha/liberation.

Apart from this, I have heard of two interpretations which I think does not fall into eternalism but which I think is vastly different.

1) Ven. Nanananda interpretes viññāṇāṁ anidassanaṁ as the consciousness of an arahant, which is not established in terms of a self in name and form, so it is also considered the cessation of 'manifest' consciousness/name and form, but there is a non-manifestive or non-established consciousness that does not 'reflect' name and form, which is the consciousness of an arahant.

2) Ven. Sujato interpetes viññāṇāṁ anidassanaṁ as merely the attainment of formless jhanas (plane of infinite consciousness?), but often misread by a wrong syntax and thereby confused with nirvana which is the 'the cessation of consciousness' which is actually something altogether different from viññāṇāṁ anidassanaṁ. This interpretation would also bring into question: obviously, the arahant is conscious at some level, otherwise an arahant would become inert and insentient like a piece of wood after liberation. Or is Ven. Sujato implying an afterlife parinibbana as being devoid of consciousness?

What is your thoughts on this? What do you think is the correct interpretation? I think that if 1) is correct, then 2) can't be correct, and vice versa. Their explanations seem to be contradictory. Too bad I don't know Pali so can't make judgment on their interpretations. But I personally think Ven. Nanananda might be right.

Update: from the latest comment, Ven. Sujato indeed confirms that 'When the Buddha (or arahant) passes away, this is “an-upadisesa parinibbana”: the five aggregates end, including all vinnana, and there is no suffering.'
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

xabir wrote:What is your thoughts on this? What do you think is the correct interpretation? I think that if 1) is correct, then 2) can't be correct, and vice versa. Their explanations seem to be contradictory. Too bad I don't know Pali so can't make judgment on their interpretations. But I personally think Ven. Nanananda might be right.
I think there's no need to place too much emphasis on a phrase that only occurs twice in the entire Suttapiṭaka. According to the commentaries this phrase refers to a consciousness of nibbāna.

Ven. Ñāṇananda has probably explored this phrase in more detail than most, and I generally agree with his analysis. However, he misinterprets at least one of the two commentarial explanations and sets up a bit of a straw man argument against the commentary. Recourse to the sub-commentary would have prevented this misinterpretation.
mogg

Post by mogg »

The title of this thread is entirely incorrect.

Ven. Nyantiloka's rendition of MN 109 (inc. notes):

And what, in brief, are the Five Groups of Existence? They are
corporeality, feeling, perception, (mental) formations, and
consciousness.
All corporeal phenomena, whether past, present or future, M. 109
one’s own or external, gross or subtle, lofty or low, far or near,
all belong to the Group of Corporeality; all feelings belong to
the Group of Feeling; all perceptions belong to the Group of
Perception; all mental formations belong to the Group of Formations;
all consciousness belongs to the Group of
Consciousness.

(These Groups are a fivefold classification in which the Buddha
has summed up all the physical and mental phenomena of existence,
and in particular, those which appear to the ignorant man
as his ego or personality. Hence birth, decay, death, etc. are also
included in these five Groups which actually comprise the whole
world.
)

There is no consciousness that is exempt from the tilakkhana. This nibbana = 'universal consciousness' idea is wrong view.

MN 38: Hence I say: the arising of consciousness is dependent upon
conditions; and without these conditions, no consciousness
arises.

I also recommend reading SN 23.94. Categorical on this issue.
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

mogg wrote:The title of this thread is entirely incorrect.
This thread was split off from another discussion and titled by a moderator.
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

It looks like it's been a very interesting discussion, but at this point it would be bewildering to try and trace the argument back to its source. Wondering if someone could quickly clarify:

-- is it that some Mahayana schools posit a "permanent vinnana lighting the cosmos" aka universal consciousness, and Theravada doesn't teach such a thing/

-- Is it that no Buddhist school teaches such a thing, but some variants of Mahayana present nirvana in "positive" terms which seem to suggest it?

-- is it that Thanissario Bhikkhu seems at times to suggest such a concept?

-- None of the above/something else?

Just to make an uninformed layman's observation, what I see is that Mahayana sutras such as the Avatamsaka do seem to present Buddhahood as a sort of abiding transcendent consciousness -- but I've been advised that this is illusory and only appears that way from the standpoint of beings in samsara.