Reunify the Buddhism, is there any way?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
reflection

Re: Reunify the Buddhism, is there any way?

Post by reflection »

Divisions only exist in the mind. You could either say there is one type of Buddhism or there are millions of types of Buddhism, or anything in between. All is true on another level. So if you want to unify Buddhism, you can! At least, that's how I see it.

If you want to see just one interpretation of the dhamma, everybody who practiced the dhamma would have to be enlightened obviously. But I don't think that will happen any time soon. And even then, the path can be represented in a multiple of ways.
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

daverupa wrote:
anjali wrote:
whynotme wrote:...Is there any way to make the job done?...
Regards
Realistically...no. Once divisions (both doctrinal and ritual) are firmly established, there is no going back. I can't think of any world religion where major sectarian groups dropped their differences and reunified.
There are other models, potentially. Within the Catholic Church, there are liturgical Rites which celebrate the liturgy in various ways, but all of them are considered to be in communion with one another, as contrasted with the Protestant Churches. A similar thing for Buddhism would involve mutual recognition of the validity of Vinaya ordinations, which is probably a much better way to approach this issue than via doctrine.
:clap:

I totally agree, I respect and consider all branches as Buddhism because of their vinaya and ordination. It is a biggest common thing across Buddhism

Regards

PS: also vinaya seems to be the last thing exists when all other things like suttas disappeared, according to vinaya itself
Please stop following me
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Dan74 wrote:As long as we respect each other's path, there is no cause for concern.
Agreed.

And I'd also like to suggest this is true not only with respect to Theravada & Mahayana, but when the scope is reduced to within Theravada itself, or extended towards all legitimate spiritual traditions as well.

King Asoka also agreed, and had the following inscription made...
Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, honors both ascetics and the householders of all religions, and he honors them with gifts and honors of various kinds. But Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values this — that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. Growth in essentials can be done in different ways, but all of them have as their root restraint in speech, that is, not praising one's own religion, or condemning the religion of others without good cause. And if there is cause for criticism, it should be done in a mild way. But it is better to honor other religions for this reason. By so doing, one's own religion benefits, and so do other religions, while doing otherwise harms one's own religion and the religions of others. Whoever praises his own religion, due to excessive devotion, and condemns others with the thought "Let me glorify my own religion," only harms his own religion. Therefore contact (between religions) is good. One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others. Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, desires that all should be well-learned in the good doctrines of other religions.

Those who are content with their own religion should be told this: Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. And to this end many are working — Dhamma Mahamatras, Mahamatras in charge of the women's quarters, officers in charge of outlying areas, and other such officers. And the fruit of this is that one's own religion grows and the Dhamma is illuminated also.
Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

mfesmith wrote:Buddha Dharma is already unified. Buddhists simply need to drop their "isms" and then it will be taken care of.

In other words, there are a variety of approaches to the problem of dealing with the afflictions which cause rebirth in samsara.

The Nikaya approach is the NET, the Mahāyāna approach is the five paths and ten stages, the latter two approaches are more mentally oriented.

The Vajrayāna approach take a different direction, and understands how both afflictive consciousness and the release from those consciousness, as well as dhyānas, samadhis and so on are bound up in the interrelationship of various cittas with their corresponding physiological bases in channels and cakras. Among other things, it is predicated on reversing the dependent origination of the formation of the body based on how an afflicted consciousness appropriates a body at conception.

It does not matter what approach one takes, as long as one understands the essentials are the same i.e. there is affliction, this causes karma, that results in suffering. Remove affliction, karma does not come to be and suffering ceases.

It is that simple. There are variety of approaches to this issue. Be grateful it is so.

Then you will cease being a "Buddhist", attached to sect and an identity, and become a practitioner of Buddhadharma.

M
These are some very neat little categories. You've got your Nikayism, your Mahayanism and your Vajrayanism. Nope. No isms in this list.

There's no need to unify anything. Everything is up for grabs and completely open to scrutiny and reevaluation. Just as it always has been.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

When was Buddhism ever unified?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

danieLion wrote:When was Buddhism ever unified?
Perhaps about 528 BCE to 500 BCE i.e., only about 28 years from the time of the first sermon to when Devadatta attempted a schism. After the paranibbana of the Buddha conflicts arose over mostly Vinaya issues, then the various early schools, etc., etc.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

suttametta wrote: These are some very neat little categories. You've got your Nikayism, your Mahayanism and your Vajrayanism. Nope. No isms in this list.

There's no need to unify anything. Everything is up for grabs and completely open to scrutiny and reevaluation. Just as it always has been.
This is the first time I have seen ism used with these words. However, I also do not see a problem with the use of an abstract nouns indicating specific doctrine considering the dhamma uses conventional language and categorisation to express truth and make it easier to understand. several positions maybe correct but to say these positions are all the same is like saying wood and clay are the same.

The teachings and practices, as always, are for practice not separation, different opinions can inform each other or not. ism isn't at fault unless you want to imply sectarianism instead of respectful coexistence.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

whynotme wrote: What should everyone do?
To let go of views and opinions about having an ideal 'Buddhism' and to just practice is the best offering to give .

....and of course that's also an opinion ! :)
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

mfesmith wrote:Buddha Dharma is already unified. Buddhists simply need to drop their "isms" and then it will be taken care of.

In other words, there are a variety of approaches to the problem of dealing with the afflictions which cause rebirth in samsara.
Be honest, you think an Arahat is in an ignorant one-sided frozen samadhi. Your words. Don't pretend you aren't sectarian.
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

All traditions have the 4 noble truths which branches out to all aspects of the dharma. And also the 3 seals is common amongst all buddhist traditions. I think this unifies everyone IMHO.