Sutta on meditation gains?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Sutta on meditation gains?

Post by Sam Vara »

Several times over the years I have seen a "summary" of part of the Buddha's teaching which goes thus.

Someone asks the Buddha (or one of his disciples) what they have gained from the practice of meditation. The answer is "nothing", and the questioner then asks what is the use of the practice. The answer is then that the value lies in what is lost or abandoned through meditation: anger, fear, and other negative states.

Does anyone know if this has any basis in the Canon? Or is it an outgrowth of Western folk Buddhism?
reflection

Re: Sutta on meditation gains?

Post by reflection »

First let me say I don't know such a quote literally from the canon.

But when a certain idea is not directly from the canon, doesn't mean it can not be derived from it or that it's not true. I think this has a base in the canon, apart from the fact that the canon would not mention only meditation, but the entire 8-fold path. It also mentiones leaving behind negative mindstates will replace them with positive ones.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Many thanks reflection.

I take your point, but I would like to know if there is a particular Sutta.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

As far as I am aware, there isn't anything in the Suttas which depicts this sort of exchange.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Hi Dave,

Many thanks. As your knowledge is almost encyclopaedic, my hopes for a Sutta are now dwindling. Cittasanto maybe?