Animals love Buddhists

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
User avatar
rowboat
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:31 am
Location: Brentwood Bay

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by rowboat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Dear Rowboat,

If you ever get religious image tattoo...please post your picture so all members can see.

I like the Buddha image tattoo,
yawares
Hi yawares,

I won't be getting any tattoos, I can assure you of that! :smile:

Of my generation (40 yrs) I am one of the few who do not have any tattoos. I choose to keep it this way. While I can appreciate and admire them, they are not for me.

:anjali:
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

User avatar
rowboat
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:31 am
Location: Brentwood Bay

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by rowboat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Image
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

User avatar
yawares
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by yawares » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 pm

rowboat wrote:
Dear Rowboat,

If you ever get religious image tattoo...please post your picture so all members can see.

I like the Buddha image tattoo,
yawares
Hi yawares,

I won't be getting any tattoos, I can assure you of that! :smile:

Of my generation (40 yrs) I am one of the few who do not have any tattoos. I choose to keep it this way. While I can appreciate and admire them, they are not for me.

:anjali:
Dear Rowboat,

I told my husband about your'no tattoo'! He smiled...later on laughed when I said that I might get tiny 'Buddha image with yellow robe' tattoo on my left shoulder. :tongue:

Please let me tell you that I can row any boat while standing up...I always won the races... my friends had to buy me dinners!!

yawares

User avatar
rowboat
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:31 am
Location: Brentwood Bay

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by rowboat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi yawares,

I understand that tattoos can be a little painful. If you don't like needles from the doctor then you might not enjoy many thousands of needles from some guy named Chuck. :smile:

Unfortunately the ocean is much too cold to stand up for very long in a small boat here. I would prefer to row that way. I could look forward! But average sea temperature is around 7 degrees C or 44 degrees F. If I fell in, in less than half an hour I would be a popsicle!
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

User avatar
Skeptic
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by Skeptic » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:31 am


User avatar
pilgrim
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by pilgrim » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Monk-ey Business
http://www.croatiantimes.com/image/1776 ... y_Business" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
pilgrim
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by pilgrim » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:11 am

dogmonkeymonk.jpg
dogmonkeymonk.jpg (44.71 KiB) Viewed 1756 times

User avatar
pilgrim
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by pilgrim » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:11 am

dogwithlama.jpg
dogwithlama.jpg (57.95 KiB) Viewed 1737 times

User avatar
pilgrim
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by pilgrim » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:23 pm

crocwithmonk.jpg
crocwithmonk.jpg (17.79 KiB) Viewed 1680 times

User avatar
pilgrim
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by pilgrim » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:42 am

novices with monkeys.jpg
novices with monkeys.jpg (87.41 KiB) Viewed 1620 times

User avatar
pilgrim
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by pilgrim » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:25 am

Hi, I noticed the pictures posted on this thread can no longer be seen. Are they removed after some time?
11083872_873686266008396_4494887169880740873_n.jpg
11083872_873686266008396_4494887169880740873_n.jpg (36.1 KiB) Viewed 1152 times

User avatar
daverupa
Posts: 5980
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by daverupa » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:55 am

Probably, the links for the previous pictures are simply dead links now, given the passage of time.

...but you were using the attachment aspect... I wonder if the links simply died during a forum software update, somehow...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

User avatar
elephant_grove
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:17 pm
Location: Newcastle, WA

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by elephant_grove » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:05 pm

Please read this recent news article from Reuters:

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/201 ... afficking/

"Thai officials have raided a Buddhist temple that is home to more than 100 tigers and are investigating suspected links to wildlife trafficking, authorities said on Thursday.

Wat Pa Luang Ta Bua, or Tiger Temple, in Thailand’s western Kanchanaburi province, is popular with tourists who pet, cuddle and pose for selfies with the big cats.

The temple has been dogged for years by talk of links to wildlife trafficking and its maltreatment of tigers.

A Thai official said at least 100 tigers had been impounded in raids this week and were being kept at the temple until authorities wind up their investigations. Thirty-eight hornbills, a bird species, were also seized."
Please help stop ivory trafficking by fellow Buddhists:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/ ... vory-video
Please do not turn away. Here is one way you can help:
https://www.worldwildlife.org/initiativ ... nservation

User avatar
samseva
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by samseva » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:20 pm

elephant_grove wrote:Please read this recent news article from Reuters:

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/201 ... afficking/
Here is an update, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Temple (you can read the articles referenced to by clicking the numbers on the Wikipedia page):
On February 2, 2015, an official investigation of the temple commenced by forest officials. After initially being sent away, they returned the following day with a warrant, policemen, and soldiers, seizing protected wild birds and impounding the tigers on the premises. The head of the Wildlife Crime Suspension office stated the park did not have the proper permits for raising the birds. The tigers were impounded pending further investigation into the tigers' documentation.[6][7]

On February 12, 2015, ten days after the start of the investigation, ABC News reported that Thai officials found no evidence of mistreatment of the tigers. In a video press conference posted that same day by The Bankok Post, the director of the regional office of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, Cherdchai Jariyapanya, responded to allegations of illegal wildlife trading, stating that all tigers are healthy and none of them are missing. He also noted that the tigers all have microchips embedded in them and that the department has been informed every time a new cub is born.[8][9]

On April 28, 2015 Thai National Parks released a statement, where the monks are allowed to keep the the tigers, but are forbidden to charge an entrance fee. [10] So you should not be charged the EUR|$ 15 fee anymore...

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3368
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Animals love Buddhists

Post by Mr Man » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:34 pm

samseva wrote:
elephant_grove wrote:Please read this recent news article from Reuters:

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/201 ... afficking/
Here is an update, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Temple (you can read the articles referenced to by clicking the numbers on the Wikipedia page):
On February 2, 2015, an official investigation of the temple commenced by forest officials. After initially being sent away, they returned the following day with a warrant, policemen, and soldiers, seizing protected wild birds and impounding the tigers on the premises. The head of the Wildlife Crime Suspension office stated the park did not have the proper permits for raising the birds. The tigers were impounded pending further investigation into the tigers' documentation.[6][7]

On February 12, 2015, ten days after the start of the investigation, ABC News reported that Thai officials found no evidence of mistreatment of the tigers. In a video press conference posted that same day by The Bankok Post, the director of the regional office of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, Cherdchai Jariyapanya, responded to allegations of illegal wildlife trading, stating that all tigers are healthy and none of them are missing. He also noted that the tigers all have microchips embedded in them and that the department has been informed every time a new cub is born.[8][9]

On April 28, 2015 Thai National Parks released a statement, where the monks are allowed to keep the the tigers, but are forbidden to charge an entrance fee. [10] So you should not be charged the EUR|$ 15 fee anymore...
And then in May: Mauled tiger temple abbot to remain in hospital

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... n-hospital" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dharmacorps, Google [Bot], paul, Yahoo [Bot] and 93 guests