chemical meditation enhancement

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
johnny

chemical meditation enhancement

Post by johnny »

caffeine. obviously accepted by most.

what else would be okay without crossing a line?

i fall asleep so badly! caffeine actually works for me usually, but i was wondering what else is there?
The time would not pass. Somebody was playing with the clocks, and not only the electronic clocks but the wind-up kind too. The second hand on my watch would twitch once, and a year would pass, and then it would twitch again.
There was nothing I could do about it. As an Earthling I had to believe whatever clocks said -and calendars.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
johnny

Re: chemical meditation enhancement

Post by johnny »

soma of the vedas comes too mind. the rishis were experienced meditators and raved about the usefulness of this chemical. although debate rages about what it was. so much that it could have been a stimulant that would work for buddhist meditation, or a hallucinogen that would be very much a precept violation and totally a hindrance too meditative development in the buddhist tradition (but perfect for meeting gods in vedic tradition!).
The time would not pass. Somebody was playing with the clocks, and not only the electronic clocks but the wind-up kind too. The second hand on my watch would twitch once, and a year would pass, and then it would twitch again.
There was nothing I could do about it. As an Earthling I had to believe whatever clocks said -and calendars.”
marc108

Post by marc108 »

are you tired and falling asleep during the day or only during meditation?
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
johnny

Post by johnny »

marc108 wrote:are you tired and falling asleep during the day or only during meditation?
i have plenty of energy during the day. but if i sit down and get too relaxed i sometimes can doze. but it's in no way abnormal. i don't get drowsy while driving or eating or anything like that. just during inactivity and mental relaxation, so really pretty standard. basically if the mental conditions for sleep are present, i start too drift. i fall asleep almost immediately at night when i lay down in bed and always have.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Meditate standing up or if sitting with your eyes wide open in a brightly lit room.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
johnny

Post by johnny »

eyes open in a brightly lit room does not work, thanks though. standing up may, i'll give it a shot. can one enter jhana while standing?
johnny

Post by johnny »

also, what about nicotine? i don't use it, but it is a stimulant, no? does it help keep one awake?
marc108

Post by marc108 »

nicotene is physically addictive and carcinogenic, so i wouldn't advise that. any legal chemicals you use to fight sloth and torpor will eventually become ineffective as your body adapts to maintain homeostasis. i think chemicals like caffeine are only useful if you are physically fatigued, which is sounds like you are not. i think it would be useful for you to study up on and explore the hindrance in depth and learn how to deal with it.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
johnny

Post by johnny »

marc108 wrote:nicotene is physically addictive and carcinogenic, so i wouldn't advise that. any legal chemicals you use to fight sloth and torpor will eventually become ineffective as your body adapts to maintain homeostasis. i think chemicals like caffeine are only useful if you are physically fatigued, which is sounds like you are not. i think it would be useful for you to study up on and explore the hindrance in depth and learn how to deal with it.

i use caffeine only for meditation and for nothing else. and then only on my days off when i have time to really get a serious session in, so i don't think i will develop a tolerance. three doses of caffeine a week shouldn't be enough for a tolerance, right?

does nicotine alone cause cancer? i think it's mainly because it is usually ingested through smoking and all the chemicals in the leaves, and the smoke damage too the lungs that are the problem. if someone just used those e cigarettes they would be fine probably, or maybe not, i don't know.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

johnny wrote:
marc108 wrote:nicotene is physically addictive and carcinogenic, so i wouldn't advise that. any legal chemicals you use to fight sloth and torpor will eventually become ineffective as your body adapts to maintain homeostasis. i think chemicals like caffeine are only useful if you are physically fatigued, which is sounds like you are not. i think it would be useful for you to study up on and explore the hindrance in depth and learn how to deal with it.

i use caffeine only for meditation and for nothing else. and then only on my days off when i have time to really get a serious session in, so i don't think i will develop a tolerance. three doses of caffeine a week shouldn't be enough for a tolerance, right?

does nicotine alone cause cancer? i think it's mainly because it is usually ingested through smoking and all the chemicals in the leaves, and the smoke damage too the lungs that are the problem. if someone just used those e cigarettes they would be fine probably, or maybe not, i don't know.
3 doses of caffeine per week shouldnt be enough to cause physiological dependance.

nicotine, itself, is cancer causing through numerous mechanisms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Toxicology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johnny

Post by johnny »

marc108 wrote:
johnny wrote:

3 doses of caffeine per week shouldnt be enough to cause physiological dependance.

nicotine, itself, is cancer causing through numerous mechanisms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Toxicology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
okay thanks. i'll stay away from it then.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Johnny,
You might as well look at your lifestyle. Ensure you are getting enough sleep, eating healthy food and regular exercise. These are 'chemical meditation enhancements' which are routinely overlooked.
I would also look at how acute your sleepiness is during meditation. 'Sloth and torpor' is one of the five mental hindrances that manifests for all meditators. And it will manifest for you despite any lifestyle changes you make. Best to use the strategies as suggested to you above and to read the following work by Nyanaponika Thera.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el026.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wishing you all the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

johnny wrote: i fall asleep so badly! caffeine actually works for me usually, but i was wondering what else is there?
Hi johnny,

You'll be less likely to fall asleep if you try meditating outdoors with eyes open ( with gaze slightly downwards towards the nose) ...or else do some walking meditation.

I prefer both of these to meditating indoors.

with kind wishes,

Aloka
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
johnny wrote:what else would be okay without crossing a line?
Guarana, taurine, gingko biloba, ginseng etc.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
johnny

Post by johnny »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
johnny wrote:what else would be okay without crossing a line?
Guarana, taurine, gingko biloba, ginseng etc.

Metta,
Retro. :)
thanks! have these worked for you? does ginseng have a lot of bad side effects?