What is rebirth and where does this idea comes from?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Aloka

Re: What is rebirth and where does this idea comes from?

Post by Aloka »

danieLion wrote:Hi pondering, Aloka,

Re: "The One Who Knows."

Starting at about 01:15, Reverend Sujato critiques this "The One Who Knows" idea of Reverends Chah and Sumhedo.

Kind regards,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Personally I think of "The One Who Knows" as being a reference to someone who is enlightened or with a high level of realisation.

As far as Ajahn Sujato's remarks about Ajahn Sumedho are concerned, all that comes to mind is the saying "Different strokes for different folks".

In the past I attended a number of Ajahn Sumedo's talks when he was abbot of Amaravati monastery as well as received personal practice advice and instruction from him. I really connect with what he says and regard him as a very important teacher.

Kind regards

Aloka
Sylvester

Re: What is rebirth and where does this idea comes from?

Post by Sylvester »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
You may find it helpful to think of the process of life as a wave, rather than a particle. Like a tsunami that starts in Indonesia. Its not the same water that arrived in Sri Lanka many hours later, and did so much damage, but the wave that arrived in Sri Lanka was not unrelated to the wave that started in Indonesia.
One of the best similes I've seen for re-becoming!

:anjali: