How to deal with accusations against my practices

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Re: How to deal with accusations against my practices

Post by mikenz66 »

Dan74 wrote:
mongaloid502 wrote:Hi,

I have recently begun to investigate the world of Buddhism and found the benefits of meditation to be profound!(both spiritually and merely in terms of mood/everyday life outlook)
My (christian) parents and friends however seem to be taking issue with my new found practices and to be honest I don't really know how to answer them . I know I shouldn't be worried about what other people think, but the questions they ask are beginning to stir doubt in my own mind. Their accusations of Buddhism are that it is only attractive because:

1) by belonging to it you can touch the infinite
2) you can have joy without concrete religious obligations.

Can anyone help me to understand these claims?
Thanks!
These are quotes from Cardinal Ratzinger (the 1) and 2)). How come?
Hmm, yes, see: http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 89,0,0,1,0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, it would be quite understandable for Catholics to paraphrase those arguments in discussions...

:anjali:
Mike
Judai

Post by Judai »

mongaloid502 wrote:Hi,

I have recently begun to investigate the world of Buddhism and found the benefits of meditation to be profound!(both spiritually and merely in terms of mood/everyday life outlook)
My (christian) parents and friends however seem to be taking issue with my new found practices and to be honest I don't really know how to answer them . I know I shouldn't be worried about what other people think, but the questions they ask are beginning to stir doubt in my own mind. Their accusations of Buddhism are that it is only attractive because:

1) by belonging to it you can touch the infinite
2) you can have joy without concrete religious obligations.

Can anyone help me to understand these claims?
Thanks!
(1)is the infinite perfect?is the infinite the ONLY perfect thing?
christians view that ONLY god is perfect,with that said can you ever end urself and become this infinite god?no in christianity you are always seperated from god,which means when a christian goes to heaven he will continue to sin and why is that??cause if he cant be god,and god is the only perfect thing,he will always be a tainted sinfull being.
and yes The Buddha is the Infinite higher being the suttas/sutras support this. western buddhists tends to not follow what their holy texts say(go figure)

(2)doesnt make anysense as a question.since we do,do religious practices and they do make us happy

Peace and Love
cooran

Post by cooran »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Dan74 wrote:These are quotes from Cardinal Ratzinger (the 1) and 2)). How come?
:spy:

:popcorn:

Metta,
Retro. :)
Hello Dan and Retro, all,

Yes, a troll I think. The OP has made one post. He hasn't been back in the two months since.

Last visited: Wed May 09, 2012 12:29 am

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

cooran wrote:...

Yes, a troll I think. The OP has made one post. He hasn't been back in the two months since.

"Last visited" is "Last visited, while logged in". One can read this forum without being logged in ;)
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Doshin wrote:
cooran wrote:...

"Last visited" is "Last visited, while logged in". One can read this forum without being logged in ;)
One certainly can, but the OP reads a bait msg.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Burmaman

Post by Burmaman »

How do you reply?

First, why do you have to reply? Don't even bring the subject up until you gain a deeper understanding
and practice. Even then, no flaunting, no preaching. If it comes up naturally, then fine. You will know
what to say at that point. True Buddhist practice is not a religion, but an Art of Living, and its forms
of meditation not so different from that which Christ himself practiced. Meditation is an inner science,
a path to truth. Therefore you have taken up a science, not a religion.
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Making them happy is dharma. You should know better what is their favourite food, what they like and do it for them to best of your capability. Make them happy. Sometimes parents are worried or dont want you to go a certain way, perhaps they worry you are going the wrong way.

How do we show we are going the right way well we show them what we have learnt, which is a great sense of awareness and care for others. If we learn the dharma and we make people around us more miserable, not very effective right? Being able to make others happy is dharma.