Happy to say hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Sher

Happy to say hello!

Post by Sher »

Hello Everyone:
I stumbled onto Dhamma Wheel by chance a few days back when I was doing an Internet search for Upekkha meditation. Not sure why the forum came up as a result of this search term, but it did, and I am delighted to have found the group. I've had a long journey to get here as perhaps many of us have -- in childhood a Methodist, dabbled into metaphysics with Goldstein, Thomas Hora and the like, practiced Christian Science for fifteen years, and have been studying and trying to practice Theravada Buddhism for the past four years. Living in a very rural region of the US, being a householder with a non-Buddhist, not-knowing another Buddhist within 600 miles, and sometimes encountering sticky points makes me occasionally desirous of having some spiritual friends --even if they are in cyberspace! Some years back I took a meditation course online, and I have participated in the forum with that course, but the discussion and connection has been, overall, quite minimal. I believe that Western lay practitioners have some unique challenges and unique opportunities, and I am fairly interested in exploring these as they arise. Anyway--this seems like a good group; I hope to participate as best I can. Sher
retrofuturist

Re: Happy to say hello!

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:hello:

Many of us here are 'geographically challenged' with regards to access to local practitioners, and therefore find much benefit in being able to communicate with other wayfarers along the path. It is a bonus blessing that we also have ordained Buddhists who drop by at Dhamma Wheel and participate too.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Guy

Post by Guy »

Welcome! :group:

I haven't been here very long myself but I have been here long enough to know that such friendly, honest, sincere people as can be found here is a rare find in the world...especially the online world. I hope you like it here.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Sindre

Post by Sindre »

Greetings saschwartz! Nice to meet you! :hello:

Mettaya,
Sindre :)
"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Saschwartz,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel. :smile:

Best wishes,
Dhammanando
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Hi Saschwartz,

nice to meet you :hello:

best wishes,
acinteyya
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Welcome to Dhammawheel, Saschwartz! I'm new here myself, and I second Guy's opinion about this forum!

With Metta,
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
Sher

Post by Sher »

Good morning and hello again everyone and thank you for the warm welcome. It seems fortunate indeed to have discovered the group. I look forward to posting and connecting with you again soon. I feel it is quite wonderful that we also may have some impute from visiting bhikkhus and bhikkhunis. :smile:

Sher
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Welcome to the forum. :anjali:

With best wishes
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

saschwartz wrote:Living in a very rural region of the US, being a householder with a non-Buddhist, not-knowing another Buddhist within 600 miles, and sometimes encountering sticky points makes me occasionally desirous of having some spiritual friends --even if they are in cyberspace!
Hi Sher,

It sounds like Dhamma Wheel is the perfect place for you!

Welcome!

:buddha2:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

where in alaska are you?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat