The Depression Cure

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
dhamma_newb

The Depression Cure

Post by dhamma_newb »

The lifestyle of the average person today is quite different than that of our ancestors. Those living before the 20th century did not have the luxury of many of the innovations we have today. People’s days were active and spent outdoors, hunting, farming, building, and traveling. Communities were small and tightly knit. Sleep was more regular and diets were quite different (no McDonald's on every corner or 80 varieties of cereal at the grocery store).

Today, many of us feel the pressure of our fast-paced and demanding lives. We may work long hours, run from activity to activity, and be faced with a constant barrage of news and requests made possible by technological innovations (when was the last time you weren’t on your cell phone or in front of your television or computer screen for an entire day?). As a result, our diets have become filled with processed convenience food, our sleep is often shortened and disturbed, and we spend more time sitting at desks or on couches than being active outdoors. Additionally, in a culture that values independence and success over social connections, we have become increasingly isolated, living farther from family and having smaller groups to look to for social support.

While our lifestyles have changed dramatically over the last few centuries, the evolution of our bodies has not kept up. Our bodies were designed to live the lifestyle our ancestors lived, with a balanced diet, as well as plenty of exercise, sunlight, sleep, and social support. Dr. Ilardi developed the TLC approach based on increasing evidence of the mismatch between our modern environment and the environment our bodies were designed to live in. The elements of TLC can serve to combat this mismatch, thus helping to protect against a medley of mental and physical illnesses, including depression." - http://psych.ku.edu/tlc/
The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman
Cittasanto

Re: The Depression Cure

Post by Cittasanto »

Think The disclaimer on the site should be heeded
The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only, and is not to be regarded as a substitute for psychotherapy or psychiatric treatment. This information is not intended as treatment for major depressive disorder or for any other form of mental illness or medical illness.
The book does not show who the intended audience is and may well be aimed at a popular market looking for help with low level depression, not serious cases.

and it is worth remembering the fourth term of service
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
micalhassi

Post by micalhassi »

Now these days there are very bad situations of economic conditions. There are the main causes of depression. Dispute with family members, friends, or financial problem then a person stay in depression. I thing if a person are depressed he need to busy in some interesting work or go for tour with some one.
spam link removed by admin
hanzze_

Post by hanzze_ »

The OP is a good observation and Buddha had the way out of the circle of dept and its natural depressions. That is why we need to learn gratitude right gratitude first:

These two people are hard to find in the world. Which two? The one who is first to do a kindness, and the one who is grateful and thankful for a kindness done."
— AN 2.118

They are rarely depressed and even on the way out.

The Lessons of Gratitude

Conditions are made by your self.
miriamshookaf

Post by miriamshookaf »

cure to depression hmmm sounds very interesting you should get over the issues that are bothering you and move forward in life get relax and enjoy what is yet to come depression is cause by your own thoughts you can only find it easy to get it over you self
Eccedustin

Post by Eccedustin »

Depression has existed all through history, it used to be called "melancholia" . Reports of depression date back to early Greek times thousands of years ago. Depression is not, by any means, a "modern disease" and thus relying on a cure based on that assumption has to be faulty.
The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself! The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself because we are awake, conscious and aware of ourselves. We are the not just in the universe, we are the universe.
manas

Post by manas »

Eccedustin wrote:Depression has existed all through history, it used to be called "melancholia" . Reports of depression date back to early Greek times thousands of years ago. Depression is not, by any means, a "modern disease" and thus relying on a cure based on that assumption has to be faulty.

The four Brahma-Viharas might be useful in countering depressive states of mind:
Loving-kindness (metta)
Compassion (karuna)
Sympathetic Joy (mudita)
Equanimity (upekkha)
Head & Heart Together
Bringing Wisdom to the Brahma-viharas
by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... heart.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
dhamma_newb

Post by dhamma_newb »

Thank you everyone for your replies. Over time I've come to see that the best medicine to cure depression is the Noble Eightfold Path.

:anjali:
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

I'm always a little sceptical about the 'Beat depression without drugs' titles that seem to be all the rage these days. I agree that a lot of milder forms of depression can be solved with a change in lifestyle, exercise, meditation, vitamin supplements etc. For very severe forms of depression (of which I suffer from) anti depressants can literally save your life.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah