Panyanandha and Buddhadasa

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
LonesomeYogurt

Panyanandha and Buddhadasa

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Hello there, I'm going to be staying at a Thai Monastery for a short period of time soon. The teacher there states he practices in the tradition of Panyanandha and Buddhadasa. I could find a little information on Buddhadasa's techniques and they don't seem too different from most Thai teachers. I can't, however, find any English information on Panyanandha at all. Does anyone know what tradition Panyanandha would be closest to, or if there is any idiosyncrasy I should prepare for?

Thank you!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Mr Man

Re: Panyanandha and Buddhadasa

Post by Mr Man »

Luang Por Panyanandha, was a freind of the "Ajahn Sumedho" monesteries in the UK and visited fairly often. He came across as a very gentle and wise man who had seen a great deal - I remember him relating anecdotes of POW's during WW11.
As I remember talks by Luang Por Panyanandha. they were more general dhamma than going deeply into the specifics of technic.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:Hello there, I'm going to be staying at a Thai Monastery for a short period of time soon. The teacher there states he practices in the tradition of Panyanandha and Buddhadasa. I could find a little information on Buddhadasa's techniques and they don't seem too different from most Thai teachers. I can't, however, find any English information on Panyanandha at all. Does anyone know what tradition Panyanandha would be closest to, or if there is any idiosyncrasy I should prepare for?

Thank you!
Who is the teacher?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Cittasanto wrote:Who is the teacher?
The man's name is Ajahn Ritthi Thirajitto. It's a small monastery in my area, only four ordained monks. I don't know if you'd be able to find much information about him specifically unless you spoke Thai or something.

http://atamma.org/content/view/12/152/lang,en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is their website.

Thanks!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:Who is the teacher?
The man's name is Ajahn Ritthi Thirajitto. It's a small monastery in my area, only four ordained monks. I don't know if you'd be able to find much information about him specifically unless you spoke Thai or something.

http://atamma.org/content/view/12/152/lang,en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is their website.

Thanks!
you may want to focus on what teachings of his there are available instead of those of others, even if he trained under them.

He would have his own style of teaching, and if you are familiare with his work you have a better chanse of seeing the "quirks" of his teachings.
many people can say they are in the tradition of Ajahn Chah, but that doesn't mean they all teach the same as Ajahn Chah. same can be said of Buddhadasa, I know two people who trained under him and they have very different styles and quirks themselves.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill