Which suttas do you consider as the most important?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sekha

Which suttas do you consider as the most important?

Post by Sekha »

It would be useful for me if you could list the 5 or 10 suttas that you consider as the most useful/important, or simply the first ones that come to your mind

thank you
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Assaji

Re: Which suttas do you consider as the most important?

Post by Assaji »

Hi Sekha,

I like the Chachakka sutta very much. And it the only sutta called by the Buddha "the Dhamma admirable in the beginning, admirable in the middle, admirable in the end; the holy life both in its particulars & in its essence, entirely complete, surpassingly pure".

It's also one of the few suttas, during the hearing of which, listeners attained Nibbana. They are:

Aditta-pariyaya SN 35.28
Chachakka MN 148
Mahaapu.n.nama MN 3.1.9 (109)
Anatta-lakkhana SN 22.59
Dvayatanupassana Snp III.12
Bahiya sutta Udana 1.10
Ti.msamatta SN 2.4.3
Aggikkhandhopama AN 7.7.8

:namaste:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Hi Sekha

See any one of these:

Suttas for the Householder
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Especially:

DN 31: Sigalovada Sutta — To Sigala/The Layperson's Code of Discipline
AN 5.176: Piti Sutta — Rapture
AN 8.54: Vyagghapajja (Dighajanu) Sutta — Conditions of Welfare/ To Dighajanu
AN 10.92: Vera Sutta — Animosity
AN 11.13: Mahanama Sutta — To Mahanama (2)
Sn 2.4: Maha-mangala Sutta — Protection

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
santa100

Post by santa100 »

The first ten suttas of the Majjhima Nikaya provide a solid intro. That's why they're called Mulapariyaya Vagga (Root Section).. (ref: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mahasatipatthana sutta
Mahamangala Sutta
Karaniya Metta Sutta
Anattalakkhana Sutta
Aditapariyaya Sutta
Dhammachakkhapavatina Sutta
Rhinocerous Sutta
Dhammapada (OK Not A Sutta propperly)
Anapanasati Sutta
Sallekha Sutta
I would also add any one of the suttas dealing with the Uposatha Precepts, and Dependent origination particularly those which deal with them in detail.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The Satipatthana Sutta is a must read/understand/do
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

There are too many good ones, but here are some of my favorites:

Anguttara Nikaya 3.65 The Kalama Sutta
Digha Nikaya 1 Brahmajala Sutta
Digha Nikaya 16 Mahaparinibbana Sutta
Digha Nikaya 27 Aggañña Sutta
Majjhima Nikaya 10 Mahasatipatthana Sutta
KN: Sutta Nipata 2.14 Dhammika Sutta
KN: Sutta Nipata 1.8 Metta Sutta
Samyutta Nikaya 56.11 Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Anguttara Nikaya 3.16
Anguttara Nikaya 9.35 Gavi Sutta
Anguttara Nikaya 9.36 Jhana Sutta
Anguttara Nikaya 4.10 Yoga Sutta
Angutara Nikaya 11.12 Mahanama Sutta
Anguttara Nikaya 2.25 Neyyatha Sutta
Anguttara Nikaya 3.62 Bhaya Sutta
Anguttara Nikaya 10.13 Sanyojana Sutta

You might notice a pattern; yes the Anguttara Nikaya is my favorite Nikaya.
Bagoba

Post by Bagoba »

Hi all,

Interesting posts. There's one thing that disturbs me about some of these suttas... For example one says that the Buddha was adressing 1,000 monks... Not 999, not 1,001... No, 1,000. No more no less. Are we supposed to take this as an exact figure? Also who counted them, and why? Also withouth a microphone, it would be hard to address such a large crowd without many not hearing the teaching... Also at the end it says the 1,000 monks were all released... Great but... I appreciate the wisdom in these suttas, but these extra détails seem to disturb my belief in their actual truth...

Just details you will say, true... What do you make of this?
"This path is a thorough investigation and understanding of the limitations of the mortal condition of the body and mind. Now you're developing the ability to turn away from the conditioned and to release your identity from mortality." Ajan Sumedho, "Mindfulness, the path to the Deathless." http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/deathless.pdf
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

SN 56.11 "Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta"
AN 10.29 "Kosala Sutta"
AN 1.49 "Pabhassara Sutta"
MN III, 3.8 "Upakilesa Sutta"
DN 11 "Kevatta Sutta"
Udana
Sutta Nipata
Itivuttaka
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

Bagoba wrote:Hi all,

Interesting posts. There's one thing that disturbs me about some of these suttas... For example one says that the Buddha was adressing 1,000 monks... Not 999, not 1,001... No, 1,000. No more no less. Are we supposed to take this as an exact figure? Also who counted them, and why? Also withouth a microphone, it would be hard to address such a large crowd without many not hearing the teaching... Also at the end it says the 1,000 monks were all released... Great but... I appreciate the wisdom in these suttas, but these extra détails seem to disturb my belief in their actual truth...

interesting question. I don't have the time right now to answer it properly.

you can check this interesting article http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg. ... nsions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where Bhante Analayo shows that the same story is told in two different suttas, but they differ at the end as to whether the person becomes a simple lay follower or a bhikkhu and eventually an arahant. These suttas are SN 7.11 and Ud 1.4

This demonstrates that all these details are not to be taken to the letter. And anyway, the Buddha advises us not to accept anything that we have not cross-checked ourselves in our own experience (cf Kalama sutta for example).
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
icyteru

Post by icyteru »

Anapanasati sutta
Mahasatipatthana sutta
The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world. http://realtruthlife.blogspot.com .
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Bagoba,
Bagoba wrote:Interesting posts. There's one thing that disturbs me about some of these suttas... For example one says that the Buddha was adressing 1,000 monks... Not 999, not 1,001... No, 1,000. No more no less. Are we supposed to take this as an exact figure? Also who counted them, and why?
Obviously this is a round number. Someone who participated in these events, and has become a monk, estimated the number.
Also withouth a microphone, it would be hard to address such a large crowd without many not hearing the teaching...
Not too large a crowd, about 20x20 meters. Quite feasible.
Also at the end it says the 1,000 monks were all released... Great but... I appreciate the wisdom in these suttas, but these extra détails seem to disturb my belief in their actual truth...
These ascetics practiced restraint and concentration on the fire element for years. They were able, but did not have the last part of the Path, development of wisdom. So when the Buddha masterfully employed their favourite concentration subject in teaching them wisdom, they comprehended his teaching.

There are few such suttas (see my list above), and thousand attainers is the highest number. So the accounts are realistic.

Best wishes, Dmytro
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Sekha,
Sekha wrote:you can check this interesting article http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg. ... nsions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where Bhante Analayo shows that the same story is told in two different suttas, but they differ at the end as to whether the person becomes a simple lay follower or a bhikkhu and eventually an arahant. These suttas are SN 7.11 and Ud 1.4
Evidently you imply the suttas SN 7.11 ans Sn 1.4. Analayo writes:
These two discourses treat the same event but differ in their conclusion, as according to the Samyuttanikaya account Kasibharadvaja took refuge and declared himself to be a lay follower, while according to the Sutta-nipata version he took refuge, requested ordination and became an arahant.
That's another misconception spread by Analayo. As anyone who actually reads the suttas can see, in Samyutta nikaya account Kasi Bharadvaja eventually becomes an arahant:
Then the brahman Kasi Bharadvaja obtained the going forth in the Blessed One's presence, he obtained admission. And not long after his admission — dwelling alone, secluded, heedful, ardent, & resolute — he in no long time reached & remained in the supreme goal of the celibate life, for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for himself in the here & now. He knew: "Birth is ended, the celibate life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world." And so Ven. Bharadvaja became another one of the arahants.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This demonstrates that all these details are not to be taken to the letter.
This demonstrates Analayo's writings are not to be taken to the letter.
And anyway, the Buddha advises us not to accept anything that we have not cross-checked ourselves in our own experience (cf Kalama sutta for example).
Buddha does not ever advise such a thing. In Kalama Sutta he advises the listeners to check themselves the consequences of various types of behaviour.

As for accepting or not the accounts of the Buddha's teaching, he recommends applying the "Four Great References" described in Mahaparinibbana sutta.

Best wishes, Dmytro
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Anattalakkhana Sutta
Sedaka Sutta
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Bagoba wrote:Hi all,

I think the reason you are having problems with the suttas is that you are trying to read them as detailed historical accounts. Like most works from the ancient world, the suttas were never intended to be a play-by-play of what the things they describe, but as a means of teaching. When the suttas were composed, no one was thinking "now, it is very important for us to all make sure that the introductions keep a careful record of who was present and how many." People weren't worried about such details in those times.

The reasons why these introductions are even part of the suttas isn't to give us some sort of historical record, but so that we would understand the context of the sutta (i.e. whether it was a talk given to a particular monk, a small group of people, or to a large crowd). When you understand this, you realize that these numbers were never intended to be taken literally, but were simply a literary device to help 'set the scene' so to speak.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.