Self-Discipline

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Buddha

Re: Self-Discipline

Post by Buddha »

well if you want to meditate often you need to "force" yourselfe to do it,its pretty hard for about 1 week,but when you get an hang of it its quite easy.
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Start small and gradually increase. First day meditate for just 1 minute. Next day meditate for 3 minutes. The following day 5 mins. After that increase by 5 minutes per day until you are meditating for 1 hour every day. Then meditate for 1 hour every day for a whole week. The following week meditate for 1 hour and 10 minutes per day. The week after that meditate for 1 hour and 20 minutes every day. Increase your daily meditation by 10 minutes every week until you are meditating for 3 hours every day.

You'll find it quite easy to do that. Gradual way is the best way. Good luck!
manas

Post by manas »

Stefan wrote:Start small and gradually increase. First day meditate for just 1 minute. Next day meditate for 3 minutes. The following day 5 mins. After that increase by 5 minutes per day until you are meditating for 1 hour every day. Then meditate for 1 hour every day for a whole week. The following week meditate for 1 hour and 10 minutes per day. The week after that meditate for 1 hour and 20 minutes every day. Increase your daily meditation by 10 minutes every week until you are meditating for 3 hours every day.

You'll find it quite easy to do that. Gradual way is the best way. Good luck!
Not everyone can keep pushing up the time limit like that, stefan. Personally, three hours every day would be 'tightening the strings' a bit too much for me at this stage. For some of us, if we did even one hour a day, and kept this up for an entire year, we would have achieved something. For some, it might be even less. The most important thing (imho) is that the momentum is created in the mind on a daily basis - a kind of 'inclining towards calmness and clarity' - and that we actually sat, regardless of whether we felt like it that day or not, regardless of whether we enjoy it that day or not. I'm of course not correcting you in any way, I just wanted to say that some of us just can't do three (quality) hours a day as yet. The essential thing for the OP is to do something, and to stick with it. If we say 'keep increasing up to three hours' he might get scared away!

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Well 3 hours was just an example. Whether 3, or 2, or 1 hours, my point was to get there gradually. I just said 3 because that is my own goal. :smile:
manas

Post by manas »

Stefan wrote:Well 3 hours was just an example. Whether 3, or 2, or 1 hours, my point was to get there gradually. I just said 3 because that is my own goal. :smile:
Thanks for the clarification! :)

_/I\_
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.