Practising buddhism on a daily basis

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
YouthThunder

Practising buddhism on a daily basis

Post by YouthThunder »

Basically how do you practise buddhism on a daily basis? (especially for beginners?)

:alien:

With metta.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Practising buddhism on a daily basis

Post by Sam Vara »

My advice would be to carry on doing exactly what you are doing, but keep the precepts while doing it.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

One practice I have been doing for many years is to return attention to my breath as often as I can until I can maintain some awareness of it constantly. Really helps develop some equanimity!

I started off my remembering to bring attention to the breath every time I was waiting for something. Then when I was changing from one activity to another. Then try to recall it even briefly every hour. Every half an hour. Etc.
_/|\_
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

Dan74 wrote:One practice I have been doing for many years is to return attention to my breath as often as I can until I can maintain some awareness of it constantly. Really helps develop some equanimity!

I started off my remembering to bring attention to the breath every time I was waiting for something. Then when I was changing from one activity to another. Then try to recall it even briefly every hour. Every half an hour. Etc.

But when I try to return attention to my breath as often as I can ,such thoughts appear to me: "I am mindful","I am trying to be mindful by returning my attention to my breath","I am not mindful by thinking of these thoughts".
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Well, that's what happens in meditation often as well. No biggie! Just note and return to the breath. Eventually the mind will get tired of the same old pattern and will settle on the breath (in meditation). In daily life when it's only for a short time in the midst of other things, it can be very interesting to observe the rhythm and the depth of breathing and note the correspondence to emotional states. Above all, no point worrying or stressing about it.
_/|\_
befriend

Post by befriend »

look for good deeds to do and rejoice in there wholesomeness. playing with my dog because he is a being that i can make happy.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

Dan74 wrote:Well, that's what happens in meditation often as well. No biggie! Just note and return to the breath. Eventually the mind will get tired of the same old pattern and will settle on the breath (in meditation). In daily life when it's only for a short time in the midst of other things, it can be very interesting to observe the rhythm and the depth of breathing and note the correspondence to emotional states. Above all, no point worrying or stressing about it.
Ok
So are we are going to get better and better as time goes on until we reach some level of ......something?lol
Sam Vega wrote:My advice would be to carry on doing exactly what you are doing, but keep the precepts while doing it.
At first,I thought this would be easy,but man I <3 music and stuffs like that lol.
befriend wrote:look for good deeds to do and rejoice in there wholesomeness. playing with my dog because he is a being that i can make happy.
Seems quite simple and universal but I get what you mean.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

YouthThunder wrote:
Dan74 wrote:Well, that's what happens in meditation often as well. No biggie! Just note and return to the breath. Eventually the mind will get tired of the same old pattern and will settle on the breath (in meditation). In daily life when it's only for a short time in the midst of other things, it can be very interesting to observe the rhythm and the depth of breathing and note the correspondence to emotional states. Above all, no point worrying or stressing about it.
Ok
So are we are going to get better and better as time goes on until we reach some level of ......something?lol
Sam Vega wrote:My advice would be to carry on doing exactly what you are doing, but keep the precepts while doing it.
At first,I thought this would be easy,but man I <3 music and stuffs like that lol.
befriend wrote:look for good deeds to do and rejoice in there wholesomeness. playing with my dog because he is a being that i can make happy.
I think he meant the 5 precepts youth thunder, you can still enjoy music and other stuff
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

polarbuddha101 wrote:
YouthThunder wrote:
Ok
I think he meant the 5 precepts youth thunder, you can still enjoy music and other stuff
Yeah,maybe he meant that lol
:alien: :alien:
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

depends on what you mean by "buddhism"
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

danieLion wrote:depends on what you mean by "buddhism"
The part of things Buddha taught that is useful and wholesome to us while we can attest to it being right after sufficient practise.
alan

Post by alan »

You do it because it is necessary. You don't wake up and wander around without putting on clothes; you don't forget to eat. Consider practice in this way.
BKh

Post by BKh »

Reading day by day through a collection of suttas can give some structure to your wholesome intentions. It will also broaden and deepen your understanding of what practice is.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
bodom

Post by bodom »

YouthThunder wrote:Basically how do you practise buddhism on a daily basis? (especially for beginners?)

:alien:

With metta.
There is nothing mysterious or complicated about practicing the Buddha's teachings. In fact the whole path of practice can be summarized in one sentence:
"Do good, refrain from doing evil, and purify the mind - this is the teaching of all the Buddhas." - Dhp 183

:smile:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

bodom wrote:
"Do good, refrain from doing evil, and purify the mind - this is the teaching of all the Buddhas." - Dhp 183

:smile:

:anjali:
I like that one, too. :smile:
Expanding on it just a little bit:
Do good - treating other people as you would wish them to treat you is a good start.
Refrain from doing evil - the five precepts are a good start.
Purify the mind - first observe the mind to see what's going on in there, and then start throwing out the rubbish :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim