Practicing with a family

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Beautiful Breath

Practicing with a family

Post by Beautiful Breath »

I have recently aquired a new family - well my partner has moved in with her 11yo son. Its all good but the new dynamic makes normal practice difficult. for example, getting up at 5am to practice is not going to go down to well - unless I return to bed afterwards :jumping: ... that's going to give me more to think about than I need when sitting. How do others manage?

Thanks,

BB
Aloka

Re: Practicing with a family

Post by Aloka »

Presumably your partner knows you meditate. Discussing it gently with her seems like the best thing to do, so that you can find a time which suits you both .

bodom

Post by bodom »

Beautiful Breath wrote:I have recently aquired a new family - well my partner has moved in with her 11yo son. Its all good but the new dynamic makes normal practice difficult. for example, getting up at 5am to practice is not going to go down to well - unless I return to bed afterwards :jumping: ... that's going to give me more to think about than I need when sitting. How do others manage?

Thanks,

BB
As my teacher always tells me, "Your family is your practice."

Also see this sutta:

Sigalovada Sutta: The Discourse to Sigala
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nara.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Beautiful Breath,
Be careful about being so accommodating that you loose what you cherish most.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Beautiful Breath

Post by Beautiful Breath »

Ben wrote:Greetings Beautiful Breath,
kind regards,

Ben
Such insight Ben...this is what I am afraid of.

Thanks _/\_ BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi BB,
Beautiful Breath wrote:
kind regards,

Ben
Such insight Ben...this is what I am afraid of.

Thanks _/\_ BB
Over 20 years ago when I returned back to Aus from having stayed at my teacher's centre for three months, I moved in with a girl. Although she wasn't a practitioner I initially had the impression that she was very supportive. Once I was back home - it was a different story. She was a born again Christian and was intensely negative towards my practice. And as a result of an extremely intense experience in India and a desire not to create disquiet in the new domestic situation - I allowed my practice to slide. Two years later we had split apart. Looking back on it - I realize that it was a mistake not to protect something that was of profound importance to myself.

Over the last 18 years I've managed my practice with a young family. I have succeeded by practicing meditation in the pre-dawn morning and again in the evening when everyone was in bed. I've also been able to negotiate yearly retreat time. I think you need to have a discussion with your partner, indeed an ongoing discussion, about the role and importance of practice in your life. For non-Buddhists the continuity of practice is hard to understand or accept. And one last point - it appears your partner and her son moved into your house. So, its not unreasonable that your partner make some concessions for your way of life.
I wish you all the best with navigating a mutually agreeable arrangement.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

nobody12345

Post by nobody12345 »

kind regards,

Ben
Agree.
One needs to be adamant when it comes to the most important things.
Women and children come and go.
Love and hate come and go.
It's all impermanent.
Dhamma is not.
If you are going to have a family, then let them respect your daily practice and make sure that it's not up for the negotiation.
Make sure that your partner understand that it's the package deal and your partner cannot have you minus Dhamma practice.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Getting up to meditate before everyone else is awake seems to me to be the most considerate way of doing it, I don't see why anyone would object to that. If that's already a problem it doesn't bode well.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

imaginos wrote:Agree.
It's all impermanent.
Dhamma is not.
If you are going to have a family, then let them respect your daily practice and make sure that it's not up for the negotiation.
Make sure that your partner understand that it's the package deal and your partner cannot have you minus Dhamma practice.
Disagree - strongly!
If your practice is so narrow that it ignores the needs of those you have chosen to live with, it doesn't deserve the name of Buddhism.
If you can let your children 'come and go' with no regard for their well-being, you are storing up misery for them (and remember, they did nothing to deserve it - you brought them into the world or took on responsibility for caring for them) and yourself.

By all means, negotiate time and space for your meditation practice - but not at the cost of others' well-being, especially while children are young.
As has already been said here, your family is your practice.
As another tradition puts it, charity begins at home.

:namaste:
Kim
SDC

Post by SDC »

Beautiful Breath wrote:I have recently aquired a new family - well my partner has moved in with her 11yo son. Its all good but the new dynamic makes normal practice difficult. for example, getting up at 5am to practice is not going to go down to well - unless I return to bed afterwards :jumping: ... that's going to give me more to think about than I need when sitting. How do others manage?

Thanks,

BB
She'll get used to it. Give it time. If she doesn't, and isn't willing to accept something as simple as getting up early then you'll probably have bigger problems to deal with eventually. No offense.

You all need to meet in the middle. If none of you are willing to bend then moving in together was a mistake.
imaginos wrote: Agree.
It's all impermanent.
Dhamma is not.
Sounds like the words of someone that should ordain rather than attempt the lay life.

I'm with Kim. When you are sharing life with others you need to work together, or you can easily neglect and abandon those that you asked to be around you.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
marc108

Post by marc108 »

i think obviously you wouldn't want to skip out on an important family event or something for a single sitting, but if you're talking about giving up regular practice for the sake of anything, this would be unwise and unbeneficial to yourself and everyone around you. you will be happier, a better person, a better husband, a better father, etc if you practice regularly that is for sure. the unfortunate reality is, is that people who don't practice don't understand the importance of regular practice and aren't going to be interested in furthering your progress... the world is not set up to foster our spiritual needs, quite the opposite, so sometimes you have to put your foot down. that being said, i don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to wake up early to sit or to sit before you sleep every day baring some sort of illness or disability.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

marc108 wrote:i think obviously you wouldn't want to skip out on an important family event or something for a single sitting, but if you're talking about giving up regular practice for the sake of anything, this would be unwise and unbeneficial to yourself and everyone around you. you will be happier, a better person, a better husband, a better father, etc if you practice regularly that is for sure. the unfortunate reality is, is that people who don't practice don't understand the importance of regular practice and aren't going to be interested in furthering your progress... the world is not set up to foster our spiritual needs, quite the opposite, so sometimes you have to put your foot down. that being said, i don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to wake up early to sit or to sit before you sleep every day baring some sort of illness or disability.
While it's true sitting practise is a very beneficial skill to get established in this post and a couple of others appear to assume that practise is only something you do on the cushion and is something separate from everyday life. This might be true if one is pursuing the jhanas but from an insight meditation perspective time spent on the cushion is preparation for the real work of maintaining awareness throughout our day to day activities.

so if one has a family then family life is the practise. However I think family also need to be considerate and grateful for the sacrifices you make for them, I'd be doing a lot more retreats if it weren't for my family responsibilities but luckily I established my practise when i was single.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Goof,
Goofaholix wrote:While it's true sitting practise is a very beneficial skill to get established in this post and a couple of others appear to assume that practise is only something you do on the cushion and is something separate from everyday life. This might be true if one is pursuing the jhanas but from an insight meditation perspective time spent on the cushion is preparation for the real work of maintaining awareness throughout our day to day activities.

so if one has a family then family life is the practise. However I think family also need to be considerate and grateful for the sacrifices you make for them, I'd be doing a lot more retreats if it weren't for my family responsibilities but luckily I established my practise when i was single.
I disagree. For the vast majority of practitioners, regular sitting or walking practice will be the foundation for their wider Dhamma practice from which the development of continuous awareness in daily life is nurtured.
The other thing to keep in mind is that the practice context of the OP, as expressed in his opening post, is getting up at 5AM to sit. And if that is the mainstay of his meditative practice, and it works for him, then we should support it.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Ben wrote:I disagree. For the vast majority of practitioners, regular sitting or walking practice will be the foundation for their wider Dhamma practice from which the development of continuous awareness in daily life is nurtured.
That's what I said, the only difference is I consider development of continuous awareness in daily life to equally be practise, because practise as much as possible should be continuous.

Esteeming one activity as spiritual and above another is a recipe for complacency.
― Ajahn Chah
Ben

Post by Ben »

Goofaholix wrote:Esteeming one activity as spiritual and above another is a recipe for complacency.
I agree.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725