Monk Police in Thailand

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pink_trike

Re: Monk Police in Thailand

Post by pink_trike »

Dhammanando wrote:
Frankly, I don’t this “code of silence” has any existence outside of your imagination.
Many of my Thai friends would disagree with you, if they weren't afraid to.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Hoo

Post by Hoo »

Frankly, I don’t this “code of silence” has any existence outside of your imagination.
I agree, which is neither here nor there. I'm sorry if your experience has been so, Pink Trike. But I've worked with abuse victims (and perps), and have not seen the wide conspiracy of the laity that you did.

There is certainly evidence that those involved in abuse can conspire for silence. And that can include family and friends of the abuser and the victim. We know that conspiracy by instutions to hide facts exists because it gets proven from time to time. But to paint with a broad stroke all of the members of a group carries at least that same burden of proof.

In a school where a teacher abuses a student, it does not follow that all of the children, teachers, parents and friends conspired to keep it quiet. Some of them may have, some members of the administration may have, it doesn't follow that the school district engages the whole community in a conspiracy.

I disagree that opinions are useful when entire groups of people are labeled.

On a Buddhist note (just to keep this sort of on topic), when "I" catch myself labeling "them," I've always stepped off the path and engaged in samsaric behavior. Somewhere in greed, anger or delusion, I usually find the answer to what I'm doing. But that's just something that helps me, your mileage may vary.

Steve
nomad

Post by nomad »

That’s an incredible story! Thanks for sharing it.

~nomad

:sage:
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying
Individual

Post by Individual »

gavesako wrote:How fake monks are caught in Thailand and disrobed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWbU8Ehj ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a noble mission, but some of the monks might be extreme and misled by hatred.

The chief police monk said at one point in the video, "I really would like to kick your ass" to an offender. This is the Buddhist way?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Ben

Post by Ben »

Individual wrote:The chief police monk said at one point in the video, "I really would like to kick your ass" to an offender. This is the Buddhist way?
Why not? All he is doing is expressing discomfort born from gross dhammas (frustration). By not following through with what he wants to do he is practicing restraint, patience, and compassion. Individual, being a buddhist doesn't mean that one no longer feels or is swayed by gross dhammas.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Individual

Post by Individual »

Ben wrote:
Individual wrote:The chief police monk said at one point in the video, "I really would like to kick your ass" to an offender. This is the Buddhist way?
Why not? All he is doing is expressing discomfort born from gross dhammas (frustration). By not following through with what he wants to do he is practicing restraint, patience, and compassion. Individual, being a buddhist doesn't mean that one no longer feels or is swayed by gross dhammas.
Metta

Ben
Speaking that way is not restraint.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Individual wrote:
gavesako wrote:How fake monks are caught in Thailand and disrobed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWbU8Ehj ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a noble mission, but some of the monks might be extreme and misled by hatred.

The chief police monk said at one point in the video, "I really would like to kick your ass" to an offender. This is the Buddhist way?
He was talking to the fake monk primarily as holder of an administrative office, not as a monk (this happens often in the Buddhist hierarchy where the basic ideals of "being a samana" are forgotten and replaced by worldly standards).
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations