Daily life

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
YouthThunder

Daily life

Post by YouthThunder »

So what do you think when you walk around ,sit on the bus,going from one place to the other,go to the toilet..................? I find it kinda boring and my mind tend to wander around ,but what about you guys?(mindfulness?)
daverupa

Re: Daily life

Post by daverupa »

On a good (kusala) day:
YouthThunder wrote:So what do you think when you walk around
"walking"
YouthThunder wrote:sit on the bus
"sitting"
YouthThunder wrote:going from one place to the other
"going forward", "going back"
YouthThunder wrote:go to the toilet..................?
"voiding"
YouthThunder wrote:I find it kinda boring and my mind tend to wander around
Boredom is dukkha rooted in light aversion, it seems to me, and a great opening for insight. The normal stream of chit-chat in the mind drops off through anapanasati practice, and an overarching silence becomes first preferable, then habitual. This carries into the practice of awareness, as above - as the practice continues for me, the quoted bits are less spoken phrases per se, more akin to punctuation marks (if that makes any sense to you).

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
bodom

Post by bodom »

Hi YouthThunder

I highly recommend reading this short chapter from Bhante Gunaratana's now classic meditation manual Mindfulness In Plain English:

Chapter 15

Meditation In Everyday Life

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks bodom! Good link.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Yana

Post by Yana »

jeez..i know right.It feels great when your looking forward to be mindful but i've had trouble with boredom as well..most of the time i just start listening to music to kill time. It will take me awhile to get used to it.
Life is preparing for Death
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

I've come to notice through mindfulness that as soon as I need to go to the bathroom for an extended period I will reach right for my iphone without conscious thought.. now that I notice it I do it a lot less and I do what the buddha taught, being mindful at all times, even in the toilet.

In this world we are ever more and more " plugged in" to information that we are overloaded with and become attached to, crave for.. we " go against the flow" when we observe the reasons and mental states behind the physical actions and we are able to be in the present moment and observe.. boredom doesn't exist in the present moment.
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

bodom wrote:Hi YouthThunder

I highly recommend reading this short chapter from Bhante Gunaratana's now classic meditation manual Mindfulness In Plain English:

Chapter 15

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tl;dr,can you give me a summary?Thnks.
bodom

Post by bodom »

YouthThunder wrote:
bodom wrote:Hi YouthThunder

Chapter 15

tl;dr,can you give me a summary?Thnks.
Hi YouthThunder

If you are really interested in learning how to practice meditation in daily life then it would be in your best interest to put the effort in to reading the whole chapter. It is not that long and a short summary would not do justice to Bhante G's wonderfuly helpful advice contained within.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
YouthThunder

Post by YouthThunder »

Yeah,I ended reading it anyway,but isn;t such attention to daily life details make it awkward during social situations?A bit too conscious during interactions with other people often lead to somewhat awkward conversations imo.I also have a bad habit of praising myself(in my mind,its almost automatic) whenever I do certain things right,does not seem to sit well with mindfulness I guess? :candle:

Do you medatate while you are on the bed,preparing to sleep,if so about what?