why theravada?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
delf7

why theravada?

Post by delf7 »

as i was first becoming interested in buddhism several months ago, i was attracted to theravada because of the fact that it uses as it's basis the oldest documented words of the buddha, in more or less thier original state. also, it seemed less like a "religion", with it's lack of alot of gods & goddess' and rites & rituals, than alot of the mahayana schools i had read about.
but i am just a beginner, and you all have probably done more looking into all the different "schools" of buddhism than i have. so what i am curious about is this ; out of all the different schools under the buddhist umbrella, why did you decide that the theravada school was the right one for you ?
the more i look into other "types" of buddhism, they all have alot of good points and different ways of looking at things.
so what is it about theravada that caused you to follow this path?
thank you all for your insight.
metta,
delf
DNS
Site Admin

Re: why theravada?

Post by DNS »

This is a duplicate of this thread:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which is appropriately in the Personal experience sub-forum. Please see the posts and discussion there.