The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Ben

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Post by Ben »

ramble on63 wrote:hi all. ok having lapsed from any practice for several years the time feels right to 'start again'..like most men nearing the big '50' its a scary thought, so...in meantime (approx 18 months till half century :'() down to work. keep it simple, sit twice a day (started already), observe sila (last alcohol ten days ago was a heavy drinker prior) try stay mindfull, equanimous throughout day. may we all be successful !
Indeed! you may also find benefit by attending group sittings with co-practitioners. Depending on where you live, there may be a local group of meditators. I used to coordinate a group-sit for my co-practitioners a number of years ago and what my meditator friends told me was the experience of sitting with others once a week helped to recharge their batteries. And sometimes, its also a good thing socially to actually meet other meditators who will help to keep you inspired to practice.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
dhammadiscipline

Post by dhammadiscipline »

Meditated today 11am-6pm, alternating between sitting/walking. Was very in the moment, still can feel the mindfulness. Going to sit again tomorrow.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well done, Will!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

FaceaceRAWR

Post by FaceaceRAWR »

Oops! Forgot to check in yesterday! :jumping:

Anywhats,
---
Yesterday
I meditated in the morning as I desired.
I didn't meditate as long as I wanted to [concentration meditation] during the day. Insight is always my favorite; I love observing and knowing.
At night before bed I tried some concentration meditation BEFORE anything else. Big fail. The Insight worked well, but when I laid down afterwards I found myself depressed and thinking of a past relationship. I kind of discovered I'm still in love. That, really peeves me out, but I'm trying!
Today
I didn't meditate in the morning. I got woken up abruptly and then immediately distracted by a small child to watch.
Daily: I'm about to go attempt it. As of now I'm researching some different tips on meditation, namely that pesky concentration I struggle with. :thinking:
---

Wish me luck! If anyone knows of any sites that have tips and techniques to aid in meditation please send a PM or post them here for me! :toast:
dhammawill wrote:Meditated today 11am-6pm, alternating between sitting/walking. Was very in the moment, still can feel the mindfulness. Going to sit again tomorrow.
Good job Will! I can't wait to start alternating, but I'm not that far along yet... :hug:
ramble on63 wrote:hi all. ok having lapsed from any practice for several years the time feels right to 'start again'..like most men nearing the big '50' its a scary thought, so...in meantime (approx 18 months till half century :'() down to work. keep it simple, sit twice a day (started already), observe sila (last alcohol ten days ago was a heavy drinker prior) try stay mindfull, equanimous throughout day. may we all be successful !
Yes, may we all be successful! I wish you luck! I, also, would like to observe Sila [trying to quit smoking and an old drug habit] and stay mindful. Not to mention building a nice 'habit' [per say] out of meditation would be LOVELY!

I wish everyone luck on their goals!
p.s. I notice I've been easily angered lately [trying to quit ciggs]. Does anyone have tips? I don't want nicotine patches or ANYTHING like that. Not even medication to stop the craving... how can I deal with my anger? I've been smoking since I was like thirteen and today I got so mad at a video game that I literally felt like I HAD to hit something. I went for my thigh to avoid any damage to anything around me. I don't want to be like that EVER AGAIN. Help?

Metta,
Ace :strawman:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Ace,
If the nicotine cravings are getting on top of you, and I know this is not what you want to hear, I still recommend going on a course of nicotine patches. When I was on the course, I started with 21mg patch per day for one month, then 14mg per day for another month and 7mg per day for the last month. The hardest part was not smoking for the 12 hours before I went on the nicotine replacement course. And I haven't had a cigarette since. That was years and years ago.
Your meditation practice in conjunction with your nicotine replacement therapy will give you every chance of success.

And well doen with your continuing good habit of meditation!
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

dhammadiscipline

Thanks Ben, thanks Ace. Sat for a half hour today. My name actually isn't will, I mean the virtue of willpower.. as in, throw me some cause I'm running on empty :tongue:

--

Sat for a half hour today. Going to sit again tomorrow.
dhammadiscipline

How's everyone doing? Faceace? Moth?
Roadtripuk281

Post by Roadtripuk281 »

Hieveryone, I'm new on here although I joined up a while ago. So many things have been happening in my life in recent times that i guess i haven't meditated for maybe more than a year, when ironically, to meditate would be the best thing for me.

So anyway, this has made me determine to start again and here I am committing to simply meditate for 2 x 10minute sessions twice a day through to the end of October.

Thanks for the inspiration guys, and I intend to post here dailt to let you all know how i'm getting on.

Metta
Martin
dhammadiscipline

Good man, I'll keep it up if you will :thumbsup:
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

I've been meditating for an hour each day, usually about 5 days of the week for the past 4 months. It's just straight anapanasati, focusing on the sensation of rising and falling of the abdomen like in the mahasi method, but without any mental labelling. I don't really care for insight until I have a very solid foundation.

First couple months were rather boring and tiring, but now an hour is relatively easy. I feel constantly engaged by my meditation object, which makes time go by rather quickly. By the second half of the hour, discursive thoughts are somewhat stilled, and I can stick with the breath, by putting a lot of effort into staying with the sensation of the rising and falling of the abdomen. There's a 'wall' whenever I approach absorption (I think? The breath seems to become more.. enveloping..) however, because I get very excited (even though I tell myself not to,) which results in me getting dissuaded and losing my concentration.

What's actually surprised me most is the change in my behaviour when I'm not practicing. I didn't really expect it. More grounded, better able to concentrate, care more about people, less in my own little world. I'm quite pleased with that.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
chris98e

meditation

Post by chris98e »

I really don't meditate that much. In the past when I meditated I meditated with my eyes completely closed. Today I meditated with my eyes slightly closed and it felt better to me. I think in the future I am going to meditate with my eyes slightly closed. :anjali:
bodom

Re: meditation

Post by bodom »

chris98e wrote:I really don't meditate that much. In the past when I meditated I meditated with my eyes completely closed. Today I meditated with my eyes slightly closed and it felt better to me. I think in the future I am going to meditate with my eyes slightly closed. :anjali:
Good job chris. A lot of the time I find myself sitting with eyes open as well due to drowsiness. We all have to find what works for us!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DarwidHalim

Re: meditation

Post by DarwidHalim »

chris98e wrote:I really don't meditate that much. In the past when I meditated I meditated with my eyes completely closed. Today I meditated with my eyes slightly closed and it felt better to me. I think in the future I am going to meditate with my eyes slightly closed. :anjali:
Meditation has nothing to do with eyes.

Meditation is a direct relationship between we and our mind.

There are advantages with eyes opening meditation. First you will not feel sleepy. Second, wherever you are even when you are working, you can meditate. Meditate during the working, because you are already get used to it.

It is a bit though in the beginning, but once you have mastered it in the sense that you have mastered your mind is no longer effected by the display in front of you, you will have this benefit.

In the bus, you will naturally be able to do it. It doesn't matter what display what is happening in front of you, your will naturally seeing your mind.

Another thing which is quite important is you will get used to see that what you see is just a display. Really display.

Normally, we cannot open eyes durin meditation, not because of the displays, but because we think that display has something.

Actually it is that something that disturb you. But, once you get used to it and be able to see they are just display, so what??? Display of your eyes is no longer an issue and they are noting other than just a display.

Everywhere you go then becomes meditation. Your meditation is no longer chained by cushion. Your meditation becomes everywhere, 1 to 1 with the mind.

Never underestimated this eyes opening meditation. Once you get used to, time is your only good friend.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
AvaLily

Post by AvaLily »

Tonight am going to try and mediate for 20 minutes
I find that i am opening and closing my eyes during the time am meditating i need to try and keep my eyes closed while i do it as it feels more comfortable to close them .
:anjali:
Guy

Post by Guy »

This is a good thread (and a good forum!!!) so I wish to resurrect it.

I aim to start meditating for 1 hour every evening - 30 minutes walking and 30 minutes sitting. Maybe even 50 minutes walking and 10 minutes sitting (I'm pretty restless these days). Maybe even just an hour of walking meditation :tongue: - As long as there is an hour dedicated to mindfulness practice.

I would like to have a set time for this meditation period to establish routine; let's say 5:00PM - if I am unable on a particular day to meditate at that time I will make it as close to that time as possible.

I feel like a total beginner again - Which could in fact be a blessing.

This forum was where my Buddhist journey really started taking off in the direction of "community" - So, it is kind of my primary refuge in terms of Buddhist companions. Even though I am a regular at the Buddhist Society of WA, it is largely thanks to Dhamma Wheel that I have the understanding (both the theoretical and the practical) of Dhamma that I have today.

Though, admittedly, I have stopped putting that understanding into practice and hence the reason I return - To reconnect with my fellow travelers on this sometimes seemingly lonely path.

Much Metta to you all,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm