New, but glad I signed up

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
hornets

New, but glad I signed up

Post by hornets »

Hello all.

After bumps and stumbles I'm very happy being a total novice on the Thereavada trail- it's totally the way forward for me. I have to drive a fair bit to get to the Thai place I've started to attend, but i've learnt more in literally weeks going there than the previous 4 years of off- and on-line dhammic shenanigans. There are some odd folk out there claiming to be 'The Way'. Bit weirded out by the chanting at first, but I actually enjoy trying to follow along now. Really decent folks too. And no-one trying to 'outBuddha' anyone else or keep babbling on about right and wrong view cos they can't think of owt else to say in a 'discussion'. All sweet, like it a lot.

Happier/more content/calmer than I've been, possibly since primary school, and that's with the threat of redundancy/downgrading hanging over me. Last year I'd've gone nuts. I've been Theravaded and it's great.

I'll probably not be posting much if at all, but looking like I'll be a regular logger onner.Looking forward to reading all your posts. I probably won't 'get' the weightier stuff for quite some time!

All the best evrybody
Khalil Bodhi

Re: New, but glad I signed up

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome! Enjoy the Theravasion!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome!

:hello:
:anjali:
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi hornets and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha2:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Welcome Aboard
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome hornets!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
hornets

Post by hornets »

Many thanks for the welcomes, chaps. Really enjoying this forum.