Buddhist Declaration on Climate Change

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Buddhist Declaration on Climate Change

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Bhikkhu Bodhi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Friends,

I am sending you the link to a Buddhist Declaration on Climate Change, which I helped to compose, along with David Loy and John Stanley, a British micro-biologist. If you agree with the statement, please sign it and return it to the Ecobuddhism website. Thank you.

Please also pass it on to your own Buddhist friends and colleagues. Those involved with organizations should feel at liberty to post the declaration, or a link to it, on their websites.

http://www.ecobuddhism.org/buddhist-declaration.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--
Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi
Chuang Yen Monastery
2020 Route 301
Carmel NY 10512
U.S.A.

Giving concrete expression to the Buddha's great compassion in today's world: http://www.buddhistglobalrelief.org/main.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For lectures and teachings:
http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Re: Buddhist Declaration on Climate Change

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:http://www.ecobuddhism.org/buddhist -declaration.php
Broken link... :shrug:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

Thanks, I've taken the space out of it now... should work.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
zavk

Post by zavk »

Most excellent.

Thanks for posting this, retro.
With metta,
zavk
Tex

Post by Tex »

Signed.

It's staggering how many people here in America still think that global warming is a fictional tool invented for political gain and not a very real phenomenon.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

Although I am not convinced that there is a global warming, I believe must have a much more responsible attitude towards other beings, and so I subscribe all initiatives that will lead to us being better neighbours to the other beings on the planet.
With Metta
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

The term "global warming" is pretty much obsolete at this point. The generally accepted term is "climate change" and the emerging term is "climate chaos". While nearly all scientists agree that global warming is taking place, it is only one element of many changing climate variables (hurricane, tornado, blizzard, drought, flooding, heat, cold) that are being both measured/documented and computer-modeled. Warming is no longer assumed to be the cause of our increasingly erratic climate - it is now being seen as just another symptom of something larger that is affecting all aspects of climate.

We may have built a civilization that is incompatible with the planet's long-range climate patterns - in which case, nature will bat last.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
seekeroftruth

Post by seekeroftruth »

Signed.

I think it will be very hard to get some people to accept some of the changes suggested in the declaration, but as we begin to see greater effects and have aspects of our lives changed, people will begin to change their lifestyles.
"Better it is to live one day seeing the supreme Dhamma than to live a hundred years without ever seeing the supreme Dhamma" ~ Dhp 115