Porn Free for 90 Days

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
perkele
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by perkele » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:26 pm

dhamma_newb wrote:
perkele wrote:But developing a theoretical understanding of how your brain functions does not help at all.
Please don't tell me what helps and doesn't help based on my :quote: experience. :quote:
Oh dear... no need to feel offended. That was not my intention.
dhamma_newb wrote:I believe in talking about things.
... but don't want to hear about things?
If you don't find it helpful what I said then you don't find it helpful. I thought it might. But if not that's okay with me.
Dmytro wrote:You may find helpful OpenDNS service: http://www.opendns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or some similar approach.
:spy: Paranoia? :spy: Now that is useful.

Buckwheat
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:39 am
Location: California USA

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by Buckwheat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:56 pm

RMSmith wrote:
Buckwheat wrote: That being said, good luck to you, RMSmith.

Ummm ... I'm not the OP. But thanks anyway. :smile:
Sorry about that. Good luck to the OP, dhamma_newb.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

Tyler
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:26 am

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by Tyler » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Don,
Your honesty in this matter is commendable. The website in the original post is very interesting. I wish you the best on your quest. The personal benefit will be immeasurable and freeing! :)

With Metta,
Tyler

dhamma_newb
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:36 am

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by dhamma_newb » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Tyler wrote:Don,
Your honesty in this matter is commendable. The website in the original post is very interesting. I wish you the best on your quest. The personal benefit will be immeasurable and freeing! :)

With Metta,
Tyler
Thank you Tyler. As a good friend of mine said, "If a buddhist forum isn't the right place to talk about this, then nowhere is."

I have completed 10 days already and I am noticing a difference in my life. Whenever lust arises, I consider it as another opportunity to practice compassion and mindfulness and overcome this craving which causes suffering. It is because of people like you and the others here who gave me words of encouragement that I know that I can finish this. If my OP will help bring more awareness to this growing problem and maybe help others on this forum who may also be suffering from this problem then I think it was worth it. Take care and thanks again.

Peace,
Don

I thought this TED Talk regarding arousal addictions (excessive internet use, and excessive video gaming / "porning") was interesting.
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by tiltbillings » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Totally delighted that your onanistic proclivities are being kept in check and that your showing great restraint in what you are looking at, but just to see how well restrained you are, here is a tempting photo of a fine pair of boobies:

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/ass ... 50c7_m.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck, but if you fail here, keep it to yourself.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5781
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by Aloka » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:42 pm

tiltbillings wrote:Totally delighted that your onanistic proclivities are being kept in check and that your showing great restraint in what you are looking at, but just to see how well restrained you are, here is a tempting photo of a fine pair of boobies:

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/ass ... 50c7_m.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your boobies are beautiful, Tilt !

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by tiltbillings » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Aloka wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Totally delighted that your onanistic proclivities are being kept in check and that your showing great restraint in what you are looking at, but just to see how well restrained you are, here is a tempting photo of a fine pair of boobies:

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/ass ... 50c7_m.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your boobies are beautiful, Tilt !
And you should see my tits:


http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/ ... 220428.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5781
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by Aloka » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Awh, I get those little sweeties in my garden !

Yana
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:45 am

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by Yana » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:21 am

tiltbillings wrote:Totally delighted that your onanistic proclivities are being kept in check and that your showing great restraint in what you are looking at, but just to see how well restrained you are, here is a tempting photo of a fine pair of boobies:

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/ass ... 50c7_m.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck, but if you fail here, keep it to yourself.

LOLOL...can't believe i checked!!! :oops: ohh shooot!am supposed to keep it to myself!grr.
Life is preparing for Death

perkele
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by perkele » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:50 pm

31 out of 90 days. Now it's really getting hard.

User avatar
bodom
Posts: 6240
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by bodom » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:55 pm

perkele wrote:31 out of 90 days. Now it's really getting hard.
Pun intended? :tongue:

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo


With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan

perkele
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by perkele » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:34 pm

bodom wrote:
perkele wrote:31 out of 90 days. Now it's really getting hard.
Pun intended? :tongue:

:anjali:
Yes, just wanted to crack a silly joke. :rolleye: Thanks for noticing. ;)

LeonBasin
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:20 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Contact:

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by LeonBasin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:56 am

This is wonderful! I'm also in!
Leon's Writings: http://www.leonbasin.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Ben
Posts: 18442
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: kanamaluka

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by Ben » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:16 am

LeonBasin wrote:This is wonderful! I'm also in!
A'hem...
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Porn Free for 90 Days

Post by tiltbillings » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:19 am

LeonBasin wrote:This is wonderful! I'm also in!
Come now, enough of all these salacious puns.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 54 guests